1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Storm] - 040809 - Rebuild /GC Online

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thechoozen, 12 May 2008.

1. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

This is another new project we build, up to now we call it STORM.

We started a few days ago with this unspectacular big tower case (its not spectacular, but it has a removeable mainboard tray) which we got from ebay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because its huge like a stacker we decided to build in some kickass hardware (we didn´t decide which hardware exactly up to now) with a big watercooling loop, 2 or 3 radiators (3x120 + 2x120 + maybe another 3x120) and 2 optical drives.

So at first we stripped the case down to its raw body to see how everything would fit and in which way we are gonna make the one or other thing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    then we made 2 small mounting brackets out of some alloy stripes which we use to mount the radiator on the bottom of the frame. This was necessary to prevent the radiator from falling down on the next image :D and it prevents that the radiator could be shaked out of its position when moving the case.....
    [​IMG]

as next we bend some alloy stripes into the right angles so that we could mount the 2 optical drives with them on the outside of the case....
    beside that we also bended some of those stripes to hold another radiator in front of the case, then we painted everything inside white except the radiators they get a fresh black paintjob...
    [​IMG]
    The Top of the case also gets a first cutout
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

one of the last things we could do up to now was to build a first water reservoir which will be attached directly to the pump to prevent it from sucking air....and to make the filling process a little bit easier....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Aug 2009
  2. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

Plenty of room in that beast!

3. beesbees

beesbees What's a Dremel?

That case is huge!

4. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

this is a massive case!

5. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

yeah your absolute right, it´s really a BIG Tower Case, but you can see that the free space is shrinking with every hour we put in :rock:

today we cut the sidepanels....first we cut the complete panel in 2 pieces

Then the both upper parts got their cutouts and holes so that we can mount a 2x120 mm radiator on each sidepanel. One of the sidepanels additionaly gets a few more cutouts which will be used as small windows....

[​IMG]

beside the cutouts we also cut out some acrylic parts in shape of the small windows which will be placed on the other sidepanel....

[​IMG]

For the inside we prepared a first cover which will be placed in the front part of the case, it will cover the pump, the small water reservoir and nearly all cables which will be needed for hdds and opt. drives....(atm its not fixed in its position that will follow later)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As last step we prepared a frame of alloy stripes which is screwed to the radiator on the front of the case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Woah thats looking really cool man

7. Farmboy UK

Loving the 'grill' on the rad

8. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thanks a lot!!! it´s always nice to hear when others like your own work:D

today we build another radgrill for the radiator which will be placed on top of the case (another 2x120mm), after that we painted both in a plain black so that they will bring in some contrast to the white.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the inside we build another acrylic cover which will be placed on the floor of the top part. Then we drilled a lot of holes in it to guarantee that the PSU can pull air through it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Wow. I'm really liking the grille! Really professionally executed. Subscribed.

10. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

very cool grills! :thumb:
    "full-tower" will never mean the same :p

11. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

Sweet stuff, I like the stripes in the case :thumb:

12. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I really like this piece:
    [​IMG]

I was intending to put something similar in my next mod, except coming from a bottom compartment, to the main one.

Just love the acrylic. Its surprising how good it can look. And that's my favourite combination of colours.

13. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

I'll definitely be watching this one. Love the work so far.

14. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

oh man this is looking to be epic. subscribed!

15. Farmboy UK

Looking real good. Can't wait to see what you are going to do with the rest of all that space

16. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thanks a lot !!!!

in the last few days we could´t work much on this project because of the marriage of my brother (he is working with me on this project)
    but yesterday we made a little progress so here it is :D

at first we cut some Plexi Pipes (100mm + 60 mm diameter) so that we can use them for the real water resevoir which we will put in the lower part of the case, beside that we also made a top and bottom for it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then we made a side part for the inner cover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

we also made 2 covers for the DVD Drives which we will mount later

[​IMG]

17. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

in the last days we made some progress.....

first we made the last radiator / Fan Grill which we will use later, after building them, we put them in place to see if they fit in the way we want....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then we cut a small plexi stripe and drilled in 20 holes for LED´s, later we build more of them....

[​IMG]

after that we cut out the first part of the water reservoir stand, i think tomorrow we cut the second one....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as last we prepared a part of the outer skin of the mod....therefore we cutted 32 plexirods in 25cm length so that we can use them later.....

[​IMG]

18. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

today we made the 2nd holder for the water reservoir and put it in place for a quick test....
    [​IMG]

after that we made a plexi circle which will surround the fillport of the rez...

[​IMG]

then we also made the first parts of the case feets...

[​IMG]

after that we started to build the upper part of the front, therefore we cuttet a thin piece of wood in its raw shape and then we put a thick layer of building foam on it.......after everything dryed out we begin to give it a better shape...but it´s only the base for everything what will come later on.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Damn, this must be one of the craziest designs I've seen for a computer case. If you pull this off (and I don't see why you wouldn't), it's going to look amazing.

Only thing I'm not so sure about is the urethane foam you are using, I'd go with a solid polystyrene block. It's probably manufactured all over the world, but I don't know anything else besides Finnfoam.

I know that people use it for making bodykits for cars, model airplanes, so it should be just the thing for this mod.

Darkened

20. Farmboy UK

Amazing and original, i agree that solid closed cell foam would be a better base for the case than the expanded stuff but I'm sure you can make it work. Keep up the great work.

Tags: