1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Phase 2 Casemodding

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by brinkz0r, 5 Jan 2008.

1. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Yes I did :) They've got a lot of plexi, but their cuts are crappy :eyebrow:

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

No way! Do you have any idea how expensive hamster-sized scuba gear is?

3. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

Hmm true true, well he can build that as well! (side note ill buy a kit ;))

Things that i ordered where the correct measurements but the edges are quite rough i have to agree, nothing some elbow grease cant fix.

4. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

yeah... ummmm.... translate????

5. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

You know for sure that it's a spam bot when you see all of his 212 posts were made today :hehe:

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I am a real fan of this project... When will we have some updates?

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I have to go with Yemerich here, amazing work. The only thing I'm wondering is that how have I managed to miss this project...hmm...

I'd like to see some updates too, hopefully you'll get around to it soon.

Darkened

8. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Wow, thanks a lot :lol: For the past few months my focus was on finishing Cubeleon, but seeing Hephaestus made me want to work with plexi again. I'm currently designing a trophy for a casemodding competition, and I think I will post the progress of it in this topic :) It will be (partially) made of plexi and should become a piece of art, so worth logging. Still have to finish the third res though, but I don't know if I will because I don't really like it. I have lots of ideas, but also lots of too little time :rolleyes:

9. Yemerich

Dang time! :hehe:
    So I inspired back one of my inspiration projects? That's quite a reward for me :)

10. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Yes you did ;) And you see what I meant with the star issue in your topic? You're already back at 5 stars ;)

11. Yemerich

Aye, thats right :)
    Thanks again ;)

so.. updates? :hehe:

12. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Hey there, I am back :) It's been almost seven months since the last update, so it's about time. The lack of progress has been caused by a number of things, and mostly by my choice of using 2mm steel. Even the machines at school couldn't really cut that, so at home it was even harder. I already showed the design of the plates:

[​IMG]

I had to cut really small pieces at the time, so it took at least 15 minutes per plate. And then it still looked like this:

[​IMG]

That still needed a lot of filing to fit it around the res, and that's one of the reasons it all took so long. Man I'm glad that's over ;)

I had to make some more parts, some plexi pieces to cover the center tube. They may not be as round as you guys are used to see from mee, but it has its purpose ;)

[​IMG]

On top of that, two little pieces of steel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another reason for not finishing, I couldn't get it not to leak :( This week I decided to mill away the thick layer of glue, and use a little of the thin stuff to fill up the holes. Not one leak :) At these pics you can see that I milled and sanded away the thick layer of glue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you may have noticed, all of this is not as clean as I used to make. That's the same for the tube that will go inside the inner tube of the res:

[​IMG]

Let alone the rest of the steel sheets ;)

[​IMG]

I started this project so I could use different styles, and as you can see, this one has a totally different approach than the sleek design of B-res. At this pic, I mounted most of the sheets:

[​IMG]

And here the inner tube and the cover plates are placed also. And it's finished, I call him Rusty ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the size of that thing ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the look of the nickel plated pieces with the rusty parts. The inside became a little steamy because of the sun, but that won't happen when it's filled up with water of course. I am gonna try to make a little video so you guys can see the nice vortex :)

If all of you check out this topic a few times, I am going to break my record of showed files from april. It still stands on 230,000 pics, but I know that record will be smashed this month :) In the seven months that my website/pic host exists, I already showed more than a million pics :D

13. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Cool looking res! Have you tried using rusty nuts as well?

14. JBLPL

JBLPL What's a Dremel?

For me those nuts should stay, nice contrast :D

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm not a big fan of real rust, but it works good here for contrast. Promise to us that you will straighten those two inner plates? That crooked bit buggs the heck out of me.

16. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

I like that rusty very much; we must thank you being stubborn seven months to get it done!

P.S. do straighten those bent half plates as Cheapskate says.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2008
  17. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I've tried to let these ones rust, but I guess I have to sand off the nickel plating first. I could try that, but I'm not really feeling like doing so ;)

I'm sorry, that gap is there on purpose :hehe: I am probably gonna sell it, so the buyer may want to have it straightened. We'll see :)

18. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

A few weeks ago, I found out that Casemodproject.be was having a competition. It was based on the BeP Modding Trophy, in which I'm part of the crew. In the first round, people had to mod a dvd drive, and the amazing results can be found here. Ten people went to the second round and they are currently modding a power supply, sponsored by Fortron. Well, back to the Belgian Contest, we were supposed to create or mod a fan grill. I really like to do small projects, as you may have noticed in this topic ;) I can't compete in my own competition, so I joined this one.

I started sketching, first in my sketching book and then in SolidWorks. I designed a fangrill that uses plexi not just as a flat sheet, but more in 3D. I did that because I'm a little tired of the plexi fangrills under the stainless radgrillz and stuff like that. Plexi (and other materials also) has so much more potential, and I'm trying to inspire other people to create more creative design with the things I'm doing.

It all starts with a 120mm blue ledfan:

[​IMG]

A piece of brake line for a bike. I bought this a long time ago because I knew I could use it one day for casemodding but I haven't yet, until now.

[​IMG]

I got this gimmick aka lan cable at the Dutch Casemodding Championchips 07, but I probably won't use it anyway. I like the cables though, so I'll be using those ;)

[​IMG]

It's about three meters long, but I won't need that much.

[​IMG]

I just need a short piece with three conductors:

[​IMG]

It will be used to replace the black and red cables for the 12V. The fan makes a lot of noise at 12V, so I will never use it in a case anyway. To hook it up to the power easily I will use the splitter of this fan:

[​IMG]

I turns out to be a low budget mod. Not because I don't have the money, but because I have all of the materials at home already. I think I just have to much stuff :rolleyes:

The design was made using SolidWorks, so I could easily print out the designs, once again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The colors I will be using are black and yellow. I wanted to use blue but I didn't have enough plexi of that color. This is 5mm solid black:

[​IMG]

And the first pieces were drilled and cut:

[​IMG]

With a nicely sanded edge of 45 degrees:

[​IMG]

To win the compo, it needs a little finishing. Sanding with 80 grit to get the shape right, than sanding with 280 grit:

[​IMG]

It's time for some color, this is 3mm yellow plexi:

[​IMG]

Drilled and cut with the coping saw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the cutting and filing, it was time to cut them out of the big sheet of plexi with the jigsaw. After sanding some more, my workplace now looks like this. Not even one day after vacuuming :(

[​IMG]

I hope you guys see the idea behind these designs? In the first part, everything will be cut away that will stay in the second one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sanding at an angle was pretty hard, but it made the gluing a lot easier:

[​IMG]

For now, it looks like this :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is actually a big part of the actual fangrill, but I will show you more very soon ;)

19. Slatter

Slatter Mesh Addict

i love rust... tis so pretty. sub sub

20. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I translated the rest also, so here we go :) For starters, I tried the grill with one UV led and the result is pretty nice :)

[​IMG]

That was the reason I removed the boring blue leds off the fan. Pulled them out on this pic:

[​IMG]

The original ones were 3mm leds, so I needed to drill the holes up to 5mm first. This picture is actually not that bad, but in reality the light has a lot less blue in it.

[​IMG]

I still needed to glue some more parts on, and after that it already looked pretty finished :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it wasn't good enough, yet. I thought it needed a little more of the black plexi. So I grabbed my coping saw again and started cutting:

[​IMG]

These two parts were the result ;)

[​IMG]

I drew and printed a sheet of paper with the design on it, so I was able to glue them exactly at the right place:

[​IMG]

Here one is glued already:

[​IMG]

And that's two. The plexi work is done now, but it isn't finished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a little pic from the under side of the grill:

[​IMG]

You guys get to see the end result right away, because the English forums are a few days behind ;) It really is done now, I just need to check out how it looks with the UV leds on. I called it Brake Line, after the bicycle brake lines I wanted to use. But I found out they were to hard to get in, I would put the whole grill at stake when I would try to use three brake lines. So I started looking around for a black cable with a diameter of 5mm, and found 20 meters of black coax cable I had lying around for way too long. These were a lot easier to get in, so these pictures are the result of the photo shoot in my garden :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]