1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Power Computing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OleJ, 11 May 2008.

1. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Hi,

I am your man for your "green" computing needs! :)

The D945GCLF is a great achievement in terms of power usage but it is actually much slower than what you would expect from a 1.6GHz processor.
    For instance the last version of it (D201GLY) with a 1.3GHz Celeron is still much quicker than the 1.6GHz Atom.

Right now, the VIA C7 processor still has a better performance/watt ratio.
    And until Atom catches up with a more advanced version (Diamondville core), this is what you need :)
    http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard_view.asp?productid=283&proname=J7F4K1G

A PCI Gb LAN card will use a few watts of electricity by the way, which defeats the purpose here.

Keep an eye out for VIA's upcoming Isaiah core too - it REALLY is something amazing!

Oh and by the way, for extra power saving, disconnect CD-ROM, mouse, keyboard, etc until you need to use them :)

HTHs.

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Thanks wywywywy! Just the clarification I needed :)

Do you know which is the best PSU, a power brick with a pico psu or a "normal" high efficiency atx psu like the Corsair 520?

3. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

How many HDDs etc are you planning to run?
    Either way a 120W PicoPSU should serve you well.

"Normal" high efficiency PSUs aren't very efficient when the load is very load.
    Plus, most of them generate noise + heat.
    Less heat = fewer fans = lower power consumption.

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

AFAIK the 120W brick that the pico psu uses has a rather whiny little fan.
    I have a 250W psu that I took out of an HP computer that you could have for ~postage costs if you want. Don't really know about noise levels at all but it is fairly heavy (the best indicator of quality*).

*that was 95% a joke

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Hardware wise I'll be running 512-1024 MB RAM, 2-3 HDDs, and... that's about it beyond the mobo :) I actually have a 60 odd Watts power brick and mini-psu from a Silverstone case. That aside I actually take advantage of the fan in the PSU right now having shut off all holes in the current case and mounted the hard drives in silencer rubber band frames that are in the 3.5" bays and with no plastic in front so the airflow through the machine cools the hdds and everything. And it's a low noise PSU. Can't remember which one right now :)

6. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

If you decide on an Intel CPU and you use open source, then have a look at Intel's PowerTop app. It will show you which of your apps are causing the most power draw. Even the 'idle' ones. It's quite a useful app for power mgt.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I have to admit - Jetway stigma aside - they really do know how to make decent Mini-ITX boards.

If you're just doing basic stuff then a C7 or Atom will suit - they both lack out of order execution and are super low wattage. Isaiah does have OoO and should perform much, much better - but will cost more.

8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

When will we start seeing boards from Via based on Isaiah?

9. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

I am waiting for an Isaiah too, but the Atom is WAY faster than a C7 and it features hyperthreading (some models.) This benchmark shows the Isaiah as faster than the atom, and they are both pwning the C7

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Well that's the case isn't it. C7 is pretty aged by now. I guess we're all holding our breaths for Isaiah...

11. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Isaiah is "supposed" to be out Q2 this year as far as I can remember.
    But then knowing VIA, it will probably be Q4 before we see it.

nVidia will have something good as well (but I forgot the name).

12. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Sorry to take the thread off topic but I had an idea as to why they are copying this website, they are probably scamming manufacturers into sending them parts to review.

Although any decent manufacturer would probably keep a list of all websites that they have sent parts to and will check that list then see that the website has parts from that manufacturer reviewed even though that website is not on their list and therefore decide to not send them any. :duh: