1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 oh noes! 3rd 360 has died

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by M4RTIN, 14 May 2008.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Mines a 2ndhand launch machine, works perfectly still.

But mine has 100% unobstructed airflow, large space at the back, the power supply is suspended for maximum airflow and it's not kept in a cupboard and is near my window.

2. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

i keep mine slightly elevated on a few DVD cases with a gap for airflow lol, maybe thats the trick for a long life xbox? :D (plus was the only use for my christmas DVD's)

3. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

I think I have never seen any computer/console with such a high failure rate =/

4. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I would try getting it fixed man, but honestly, if this is your 3rd time is it really worth it to you? A friend of mine is buying a PS3 for this reason also. He loves his 360 but after 3 broken 360's he's fed up. Luckly my 2nd 360 hasn't failed so I am enjoying both of my consoles.

I'm not saying any tech is perfect, I am actually on my 2nd PS3. I was getting the infamous 3-beeps of death if you will 50% of the time. I got lucky if it would even start up, and when it did, I went for a record 7-days without turning it off (and it was only warm to the touch as well haha) to ship it back to Sony (i was waiting for the pre-paid shipping box to arrive).

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Well since mine died a couple of weeks ago which was around the time I got a ps3. Im considering to get any multiplatform games on ps3 now as you cant tell when the 360 will die again as its so unreliable.

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

can't go wrong with a pc, a wii, and a ps3 :D

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

So you have something to sit the 360 on, I presume :idea:

:p

8. Solomon Tito

Solomon Tito What's a Dremel?

It's become my understanding that it's not a matter of whether your 360 will die or not, but when. Those of you who've not had any problems with yours so far are the lucky ones, and in the minority.

My roommate's 360 just got sent in for the third time as well. Another friend of mine has gone through six of them. (He's on his seventh.)

Why don't they cave and get a ps3? Because MS will replace the 360s for free... And 360 > ps3, whether it has to be replaced every few months or not.

9. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Microsoft give a failure rate of 8-10% IIRC, and even the most fiddled statistics show about a 33% failure rate - so 67% of people are fine. So I don't think it's a case of 'when' for most people.

I would imagine that someone who has gone through 6 consoles is doing something wrong - either it's in constant use or in a funny place with restricted air flow. I bet the people who have one failure are more likely to get another one - because they stick the console back in the same place (with poor airflow).

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That exaggerating it a lot, as Tomm said, 33% failure rate is still not a majority by any means. I had my premium for over a year and had no problems with it whatsoever, I replaced it with an elite about 4 or so months ago and not had any problems either. There's just a vocal minority who have their 360s die which leads to the impression that all 360s will get the RRoD eventually. This isn't really true, from what I've gathered, you either have a dodgy one that will RRoD if you don't treat it well, and perfectly fine ones that are great unless you do something like wrap it in a towel.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

we have to admit that the 360 cooling system is very very bad, when compared to the rest of the pack...

12. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I was dicussing this reliability issue with a mate of mine and his 360 hasn't ever failed and neither have those of anybody he knows. I think it's all a little over exagerated if you ask me but they could certainly try harder!

13. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

microsoft shouldn't have let such a poor product on the market. The only reason i'll be buying a ps3 in summer is because i know it won't mess up, i prefer the 360s games but i really hate rma'in or sending anything off for repair, i hated it when i broke my ds, waiting for weeks to play games again

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah it's definitely not up to scratch, they should have made the case a bit bigger IMO and put decent HS and fans in there, and mount the PCB properly, I hear that's what causes a lot of the problems.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

And use better solder. There's a guide on the net telling you how to fix most of the RROD problems yourself in under 10 mins.

16. Kingston

Kingston What's a Dremel?

I know 4 people with 360s. All of them have been replaced at least once and one has been replaced 3 times. I like the xbox but it is ridiculous that they break so often. So in my experience 100% of xboxs are defective.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

See that's the problem with the internet, 4 people isn't a big enough sample, your friends were just all unlucky.

18. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I know multiple people that's had the rrod, some have rma'd multiple times. Being "unlucky" has nothing to do with it. Microsoft majorly screwed up on the 360, and that's all there is about it. Sure, three or four people here and there isn't much, but think about it, you don't hear of other consoles dropping like flies do you? I love my 360 (2nd one) but overall it's not a well-built product. I've had to replay one of Packie's missions like 4 times because it keeps telling me the disc is unreadable (did the same with oblivion) and I heep my consoles off the floor, well ventilated.

19. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Pff consoles, they break and dish out crappy games.
    PC gaming wins!
    In my opinion that is....GoW is okay, i guess.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

its big enough, they simply did not think the cooling circuit better...... and they could have made the dvdrom device a slot loading laptop drive.....

Tags: