1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling My computer squeals like a pig!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iddqd, 24 May 2008.

1. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

So I have had my system up and running for the past month or so just fine. Today I turn it on to sit down and play some TF2.

I log in, start up and play in a server, then about 10-15 minutes later, after a map, there's a loud, high-pitched SQQUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEAL and I jump for the rear power switch to shut it down.

Panic.

Breath.

Open side panels. No leaks.

Turn back on...cautiously

Works fine. Check temps; well within normal range (55C on water load)

The computer does it every 20 minutes or so, even if it's just sitting there doing nothing. Here are the system specs:

Intel Q6700 (no OC)
    Intel DG33TL mobo
    2GB Geil Evo One DD21066
    BFG 88800GTX w/ DangerDen block (no OC)
    Razer Barracuda AC-1
    Seagate 7200.11 500GB

The pump is a DangerDen with 3pin connection; I don't know the model #. I can't tell if it's the video card, or the pump, but the case is tight, so it just sounds like that area. The PC freezes completely when this happens.

2. Arkantos

Arkantos What's a Dremel?

it may be your HDDs
    it is the only component in the system that rotates at a high enough speed to produce a squeeeeal!

try this:
    remove all your HDDs for the case,

power them on one at a time on a external power supply, and keep them on for about an hour each.

if no abnormal sound occurs, plug in the drive with the OS, and run for an hour and see if the sound occurs.

if not, remove the system drive, and plugin the data drive and boot form a live cd, and do some activity on the drive for an hour.

you will come to know which HDD is the problem.

from the way you are describing the sound, i have reason to think that the spindle motor bearing is pfft.

do backup all your data as soon as possible.

Ark!

3. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

ok

you seam to assume its your pump, its proberbly not,

is it a hissing squeel, or definatly a mechanical sounding one. if its mechanical sounding, then as sugested its possibly the hdd or a fan, i have had this before and it was my chipset fan, a small drip of oil, and all good again.

if its not mechanical, it could be a capacitor or inductor squeeling, this can hapen as they overload or heat. and could be anything from psu, mb or vga.

4. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

Ok, checked all capacitors (visually) no busts. No leaks. Motherboard seems clean, boots fine in another PC with no issues. Waterloop (with video card still attached lol) is suspended in current case with current power supply.

Here was my fool proof test; 3pin-molex adapter for pump. Disconnect everything. Use PSU tester (powers up all lines) to turn on PSU with no motherboard present.

Squeal from pump, no movement of water. Is this an alarm or something? Is there a reset I can toggle, or do I need to suck it up and buy a new pump?

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i would guess that the motor in the pump is fried. :)

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Tags: