1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Jetway JNC62K (GeForce 8200 on mini-ITX)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 May 2008.

1. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I have two Mini ITX cases that are just sitting around, but all the ITX systems were too lacklustre for a HTPC. May end up getting one of these.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

FYI: We're about to arrange a 780G with local frame buffer and Pci-Express slot mini-ITX to come in soon too :)

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

These could be interesting. I wouldn't mind chucking an 8600/3850 in there so I can have some light gaming as well.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry, I just don't have time :( I'm very behind in work and I can't actually remember.

5. toru173

toru173 What's a Dremel?

This wouldn't happen to be the J&W board, would it? I've just discovered it and I'll be looking forward to your review!

6. Speqtre

Speqtre What's a Dremel?

On page 5 of the review, where you show the test setup board, you have DVI and analogue audio connections. Did you test HDMI audio by connecting with the DVI->HDMI adapter and sending the output to an HDMI receiver? I ask because you address the audio limitations of this board, but don't have appeared to fully test its functionality. Several other 8200 based boards are capable of sending 7.1 LPCM to an AVR.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome!

That's a very valid point, however we don't have a HDMI receiver. This is a limitation we've also had with previously testing the 780G as well and we've as yet been unable to find someone to sponsor us with one. Unfortunately we don't have big company backing and budgets despite the fact we're quite a large site :(

There is a BIOS option for HDMI audio, so despite being an Nvidia chipset with no "audio engine" like ATI there's still an internal route-through, however Jetway weren't specific about the support (it's an IPC board not HTPC really) and we weren't provided with the manual since it was an early sample. Have you got some links about other 8200 boards? As far as I knew there was still HDCP issues with LPCM over HDMI. I'd like to know how these other boards route their audio and what hardware they have on board.

Cheers

Yes, we were contacted by J&W and we're also seeing them in Taiwan in two weeks - we'll grab some pictures of it and other boards then. :)

8. toru173

toru173 What's a Dremel?

So quick! It seems the perfect competitor to face off against the Jetway board. Bring it on!

9. stephenpatrick

stephenpatrick What's a Dremel?

I just bought one of these boards, have loaded Visa Ultimate, intend use as HTPC.
    Can't seem to get S3 resume to work, because the board powers down the USB ports in S3 standby.
    Tried all the usual windows settings (never had problems with other boards doing this) but it still de-powers the ports.
    Not found any BIOS settings that seem relevant or help.
    Anyone tried this or got a fix?
    Regards

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Check for BIOS updates - there was at least one iirc.

11. Speqtre

Speqtre What's a Dremel?

Other than the S3 standby issue, which I'm sorry I can't help with, have you tried HDMI audio? Do you have an HDMI-capable AVR you're connecting to?

12. stephenpatrick

1. Just tried BIOS update to A1 (came with A0). No change - no obvious "S3-friendly" USB / BIOS options.
    2. Got an email back from the distributor from Jetway, suggesting a registry hack/patch. Will try but not convinced it's the fix for the problem.
    3. No haven't tried HDMI audio, no appropriate equipment to connect it to - sorry -

13. stephenpatrick

Problem Solved!
    Helpful people at XPmediacentre.com.au answered
    "move JP1", Not in the manual! Fixed it.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:D Glad you fixed it!

15. odyssey

odyssey What's a Dremel?

I'm wondering how small a CPU that will still be able to perform Blu-ray playback without glitches.

This review shows quite much headroom for CPU - Will a 4050e do the job too?? Are there any CPU's available that can do this in a fanless environment?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No AMD CPUs I know of unless you underclock and undervolt it, plus you a large heatsink. ~30W is still a lot of heat to shift.

Offloading onto 780G gives you plenty of overhead for Blu-Ray.

17. odyssey

odyssey What's a Dremel?

780G seems nice too, although the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H seems to draw a little more power during load.

I'm unsure which board I should get for a full HD capable HTPC with very low power consumption.

I'm interested in a board that is capable of running full speed when needed (Blu-ray playback) and drop down to almost nothing when it's idle or just doing small things. Is such thing even possible with say, Cool'n Quiet?

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

C'n'Q certainly helps. Dunno how much of a power consumption benefit there'll be though. What case would you be using? Would a really quiet heatsink not do instead? Doesn't take much of a fan to keep 30W reasonably cool. :)

19. odyssey

odyssey What's a Dremel?

I haven't found a case yet, but I don't have much requirements of that matter, as long as it's not a high-tower ;)

I'm using a 120mm fan on a Thermalright insane heatsink that keeps it fairly cool at very low power.

Tags: Add Tags