1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Negative Space - May 27 - Side Panels

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by B[x], 18 Oct 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm beginning to think he jumped ship on us.

2. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Interesting word choice. The regional conferences for the National Concrete Canoe Competition came and went. About mid-March, the project manager of my school's canoe decided he didn't want to do it anymore. I stepped up, new to the game, and took over. Seeing as how we had a late start with only 6 weeks till competition, I'm damn proud of our 2nd place finish in regionals (pictures below). Unfortunately the competition along with classes and 3 jobs ate up all of my time. I graduate on the 16th and the only thing that stands in my way is my research project. Once those loose ends are tied up, I'll have some free time (hopefully). The lease on my house is up at the end of the month so we'll see how that goes.

Updates in a week? Nah, I'm not making any promises this time.

Thanks. The miter cuts weren't all that hard. I think a lot of trouble people have stems from poor quality miter rigs.

I wouldn't mind getting some cash out of those corner brackets but I don't think it would be worthwhile. They're really not hard to make with a Dremel (if you don't have access to a waterjet) if you have patience and a steady hand. Also, since my school owns the waterjet I used, I feel like profiting off of it would upset the university if they found out. As for their structural integrity - they're beasts. I've stood on my frame without worry. Granted I'm not that big a guy but still. Solid.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

That frame come along sooo nicely! When will we have updates?

4. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Yemerich, that means a lot coming from the creator of HEPHÆSTUS.

All six of the panels have been cut out and filed down. All that's left (other than sanding/painting) is to drill some holes and bevel some edges. The lease on my house is up at the end of the month so next week will be spent packing and finishing off those panels. I'll have that update around the 1st of June. Three of the four shields have been cut out. The fourth needs to be cut out and then all of them need to be filed down.

Sorry for the huge delay and thanks for sticking with me, guys. I have been doing work but only a little at a time and I don't like posting updates without having something to show.

5. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Alright, finally an update. I've been working on this on and off for awhile but I finally have something to show for it.

Five of the panels were made from 1/16-in aluminum sheet. The rear panel was made from 1/8-in aluminum sheet to support the PSU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The designs were plotted out and then taped to the aluminum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The panels were cut with a Dremel flex shaft and cut-off wheels as well as a jigsaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The completed rough cuts can be seen below.
    Right panel:

[​IMG]

Center panel:

[​IMG]

Left panel:

[​IMG]

Rear panel:

[​IMG]

All panels:

[​IMG]

Up next -- Filing. Lots of filing.

6. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Several hours were spent filing down the edges to provide a straight and smooth edge. Wooden slats were used to ensure edge uniformity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a lot of filing.

[​IMG]

The outside edges of the panels have not been filed yet. That will be done once they are fitted to the frame. Sorry for the flash. I couldn't take the pictures outside and my interior lighting is terrible.
    Right panel:

[​IMG]

Center panel:

[​IMG]

Left panel:

[​IMG]

Rear panel:

[​IMG]

Up next -- Fitting the panels to the case and trimming down the excess.

7. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Good to see you back B[x].,
    Filing can be a real pita, I noticed you use some wood as a
    guide for the straight edges. I use a stainless ruler for the
    same thing, when I've filed down to the ruler the sound
    changes dramatically so it's time to stop. works quite well.

8. Slatter

Slatter Mesh Addict

WOW...

9. Ampersand.

Ampersand. What's a Dremel?

Super MEGA Necro bump!

I was just starting to get into this when I came to the end. Disappointing.
    So did you end up finishing this project?
    If so just take some finished photos (2 years later :)) for a bit of closure.
    If not.
    Awww.

10. douglatins

douglatins What's a Dremel?

OMG i'm building my frame like he did

11. nebun

nebun Midnight Modder

Me too, started cutting 2 days before I saw the thread, designed a connector and thought maybe there was a better way, search brought me here :hehe: slightly different but same approach, I think B[x]'s will be much stronger though.

Very nice B[x], can't wait to see it finished :thumb:

12. Dragon7Samurai

Dragon7Samurai What's a Dremel?

Sweet frame, I like the way the corners join so neatly, I know from experience it's though to get it to work but looks way better than the 90 degree style joints.

Nice work!