1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Steam problems

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jfab199+, 20 May 2008.

1. jfab199+

jfab199+ What's a Dremel?

Whenever I start steam it connects then when the main window opens it doesn't load the front page(it just has a white block) then it disappears. I checked the task manager and it isn't running after it crashes.
    I am really irritated, I submitted a support question on steam's support site a week ago. I got an answer after two days which was

<quote>"Please exit Steam, then go to the C:\Program Files\Steam directory (this is the default with a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it), and delete all of the files except for:

Steam.exe

And the folder:

\SteamApps\

Restart your computer and test the issue.

You may also need to disable background programs and check your firewall/router settings.

Title: Disabling Background Applications
    Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8043-EUJN-5239

Title: Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
    Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493

After Steam fails to launch, please check your task manager to see if Steam.exe is running under the processes tab."</quote>

I have tried all of that and it didn't work, I uninstalled and re-installed steam and that didn't fix it. I tried to register for their forums but it kept telling me that the numbers and letters I put in for the image verification were wrong, which I'm not a tard since I was able to manage it to register for bit-tech.

And to top it off there is no other way that I can find to contact anyone any other way.

Thanks to anyone that offer any help because I'm sure as hell not getting it from steam(and I'm on summer break and can't play TF2, so sad)

2. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

Does it generate a log in Steam folder : ? Seems a strange issue ...

3. jfab199+

yeah the log says it connects, then createsession succeeded then the next few lines say cancelpendingcall

I don't mean to be so hateful, it's just sad when I post here and
    1. I get a better response time
    2. an actually helpful response

BTW I posted the same question again on steam's support, I wonder how many it will take:)

4. BlueTrin

Um I am a programmer so I thought they might have put a log system =/. You probably already did it, but you should post the whole log of a session to them.

Is it possible that you could be logged somewhere else at the same time ? Unfortunately I cannot be of much help, if I was you, after emailing them the details (or replying to your own ticket to add more details), I would google for some keywords of the log to find people with the same problem ...

EDIT: There may be an error message to explain why it cancelled the session.

5. jfab199+

Thanks, I never thought to check for a log file, and you have thought they would have asked for one. I tried google and wasn't able to come up with much, any ideas for search terms?

6. BlueTrin

I would put the generic terms like CancelPendingCalls or the error message if it displays the reason for which it does not connect ... there may be a few messages ahead of the CancelPendingCall ... (because the numbers can be different)

If I was you I would wait for customer support to reply ... If you have vista, you can also give a try to run it with Administrator rights (but I have Vista and Steam currently running without anything to change at the moment)

IF YOU HAVE THE STEAM INSTALL YOU CAN TRY THIS (ONLY IF YOU CAN REINSTALL IT AFTERWARDS):

Did you try in addition to delete the files, to check in these folders for a "Steam" folder:
    - C:/Documents and Settings/<Your Windows Login>/Application Data/ (for non Vista systems)
    - or C:\Users\BlueTrin\AppData (for Vista systems)

If you reinstall Steam, you may want to get rid of all the Steam files in there ... Just be sure to delete ONLY files in a Steam folder if there is any ... DO NOT TOUCH ANY FILE IN THERE THAT IS NOT IN A FOLDER CALLED STEAM.

This is a default folder to put some data related to an user for programs ...

EDIT: I checked and my Steam folder in there is empty ... so it may not be useful to do this ...
    Sorry I ran out of ideas ...
    You can also check in the other users account if there is any Steam files.

7. jfab199+

I appreciate your help, I checked google and couldn't find anything.
    Thank you.

8. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

There is a Steam.log in the steam folder. It might help. (Edit : I've seen you read it.)
    Are there some .mdmp files (minidump) ? If so, you could try attaching them to your support ticket to help them solve the issue.
    You could also check the application events (right click on my computer/Manage/Event Viewer) and see if you find anything useful. (application error, Steam.exe)
    You should try again creating an account on the forums.

You should also check the registry, and delete the Valve entries in it (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526)

You could also try https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250 (the -login to see if bypassing the steam window and launching TF2
    (applaunch 440) works.

(Lots of you in this post xD)

9. BlueTrin

Sorry to hear that, did you get more luck yet ?

10. jfab199+

I uninstalled everything, games and all, and reinstalled them. They work, but I found out what the problem may be(aside from steams shoddy support< still pissed off can you tell) is the store tab. When I click on the desktop icons to run the games everything is fine, steam opens up to the games tabs and runs fine. Go to the store tab and it craps out. May just have to live with it. Thanks

11. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I *think* that steam uses IE to display the store, at least it looks like it does. have you tried updating IE?

12. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

You need IE updated as well as flash installed for the store to work properly.
    Any luck ?

13. BlueTrin

I had very often problems with the store tab ... I never really tried to fix them ...

14. jfab199+

After re-installing I just put shortcuts on my desktop, I hope the auto updates still work.

anyway the guy from steam finally got back with me after a week or two, said "I apologize for the long response time, I have been out of the office." so I guess they assign one person per question and he was on vacation, that's great support.

Tags: