1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pub Quiz Ammo

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Penguin, 27 May 2008.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Someone rings Direct Line every 8 seconds (sounds like an absolute nutter if you ask me)

(Direct Line = some loan company for those that don't know)

2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

That was on QI, too.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Useless fact/correction: the proper plural of octopus is octopodes, not octopi or octopussies. You're not alone, though - Microsoft get this wrong and have octopi in the dictionary not octopodes (I just checked :D)

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

At the risk of double posting (albeit a couple of hours apart):

When Bell invented the telephone, he envisaged people using a special greeting when talking on the telephone - he used "ahoy hoy", similar to the shipboard greeting. Mr Burns from the Simpsons uses this greeting to demonstrate his great age.

5. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Rats have a one way oesophagus which means they are unable to vomit, hence they are so easy to kill with poison.

6. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Did you by any chance get this from Paul Sinha's standup show? If not, go see him, it's in there too and he's amazing.

My fact: A Boeing 747 can actually fly upsidedown, however in turning it upsidedown the wings would snap off. And in testing the wings can flex up to 30 feet before breaking.

RwD

7. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

More likely result. :D

Orange rhymes with door hinge, if you have the right accent (General American).

I doubt it. A barrel roll can be executed as a one-G maneuver, which means that there is no stress on the airframe beyond that of normal flight. There is a question of it being able to roll fast enough to get all the way over without falling out of the sky, though. It's been done in a 707, no-one's tried their luck in a 747 (yet). As for flying upside down - in theory, any airplane can, given sufficient angle of attack and engine power. I'm not sure if a 747 meets the requirements or not.

And yeah, wings will flex a long ways. Watch this for a 777 being tested to failure. Very dramatic.

8. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

The Saleen S7 can theoretically produce enough down-force to drive upside down.

9. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

In 1974 UK elections Labour won but actually got ~300,000 less votes

10. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Understand

11. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i felt i should point out the flaw in your argument....

a

12. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Actually I think I read it from Al Murrays Pub Landlord book.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I've a collection of trivia books downstairs, but I'll reel off some from the top of my head:

You could fit the entire world's population standing next to each other on the Ilse of Wight (think about how many people you can fit in a field at a festival)

You could also fit the entire world's population three times over, plus room to spair, in Loch Ness.

In an average cubic mile of fog there is less than 1 gallon of water.

... and then my girlfriend woke up and I didn't have chance to finish, ah well.

14. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

A barrel roll could be easily (sort of) done on A 747 provided it had no passengers and was close to Vne (never exceed velocity) also, a 747-400 can roll inverted without ripping the wings off, due to strengthening introduced in that redesign.

15. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Ambiguous definition there. It may be by surface area, but by volume it is Baikal in Russia. It holds approximately 1/5th the world's fresh water, and is also the deepest lake in the world.

16. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Ahhhh ok my bad, I thought you meant just the start - prolly did it at work, where I only very lightly browse the site so don't read things maybe as thoroughly as I should...