1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by doiwku, 27 May 2008.

1. doiwku

doiwku What's a Dremel?

OK so my current computer is:
    amd X2 6400+
    asus m2r32-mvp
    muskin 4g (2g each stick)
    msi 3890X2 overclocked version
    silverStone 1000w

And about 3 months ago my computer just died!
    I DON'T HAVE ANY IDEAL WHY!

the computer seemed like it just blow out after like 2 mins turning on my computer. I tryed it like 3 times and then decided to open up the side. I felt the cpu and it was burning hot! So i waited alittle bit for it to cool down and then tryed it once more...
    completely blank monitor. I was so mad and confused. after closes analising I realized the liquid cooling water wasn't moving. So I came to the conclusion that my liquid cooling failed so my cpu overheated. I then bought a bran new cpu and cooler then put it in. SAME BLANK BLACK SCREEN. So I figured it must be a ram problem. My friend lended me some ram and I still got nothing... I know the problem isn't a video card problem cause I originaly was using a 2900xt and it died then switched to the 3890x2 to see if it changed anything. So now the way I see it, its ether a motherboard problem, a power supply problem or a bios problem. My cpu fan controller doesn't work so im pretty sure its power, but i still get a led on my motherboard, cpu cooler, and graphics card. The cd drive opens and closes fine. I have reset the bois like a million times. I really dont know what else to do!
    PLEASE HELP ME!

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Try a new motherboard? Any sign of burning anywhere?

3. doiwku

doiwku What's a Dremel?

no signs of burning exept there was a smell like electricty burn smell before my screen would only show black.
    You sure its a motherboard problem?
    im just scared its a power supply problem like the power supply isn't giving the right or enough amount of voltage.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

That Power supply should be more than enough - Silverstone is a good brand. I bet your computer doesn't even use 400W let alone 1kW.

My guess would be CPU or motherboard that's toasted - providing that the water cooling failing was the cause of the problem. Why did it fail?

5. doiwku

doiwku What's a Dremel?

well i was guessing the cooling system might of faild from my power supply breaking. The pump didn't work but the liquid cooling fan still moved so ether the pump broke or the power isn't height enough. By high enough I mean like the power supply might be only getting half the voltage or the only power being transfered is the pure wall outlet. Since i put the new cpu and cooler fan the computer still doesn't work. The new cooler's fan controller doesn't work so it has to be the power unless the connection between the power supply to motherboard to cpu controller is broken. AHH I DONT KNOW WHY!!! :( maybe theres just something wrong with my motherboards bios, or maybe its a ram problem and the ram i barrowed was the wrong kind. Wish I could just barrow someones power supply to see if it works and be done with this already! But i need at least a 850w power supply(3890x2 requires it, and what if i want to add another 3890 x2) arg!

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

only leave your cpu on your mobo and start it up with your power supply, if it doesn't do anything then try another power supply. If it works then, your power supply is gone, if it doesn't work it's probably the motherboard as you've said you tried a new cpu out in it.... Hope this helps

7. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Amd's have some kind of thermal protection dont they? if so and it got too hot then I would expect that the protection would kick in and save the cpu. that being said I would hazard a guess that it (the cpu) didn't actually go bad.
    But
    You said you could smell burning, which says to me that their either wasn't any protection or it didn't work. so maybe the cpu socket along with the cpu overheated and it died(the cpu socket). That being the case you need a new motherboard.
    Of course im just thinking out loud here.

Where did you get that number from? it only uses 300W at peak. Throw in 100 for the cpu, 50 for all the drives and fans and your system tops at 450W's

and whats a 3890x2?

8. doiwku

doiwku What's a Dremel?

I didnt know you could boot a computer with out ram? I always thought if you didnt have ram or a cpu the motherboard would never boot to bios? I just need to find someone with a powersupply! haha

i was under the understanding that amd does not have a automatic shutoff with there cpu's. But im not sure. I ment ati hd 3870 x2, the graphics card. On there website they say you need a 850w min, power supply. Maybe the smell was my powersupply going out. I really have no ideal. Everyone I know saids powersupplys go out very easy and alot. Like every 6 months. So I have always been thinking its most likely a power problem since my new cpu fan controler doesnt work, and that has nothing to do with the cpu slot. But maybe it does? I have no ideal!

9. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

hi there and sorry to hear your tale of woe but from bitter experience, i'd have to say that your mainboard is toast and you should buy another to test with your new cpu, and you may like to get a budget board until you are sure your cooling is working okay - best of luck

10. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Do you have a speaker connected up to the mainboard? If so what POST code do you get, one beep? or is it silent, multiple beeps etc?
    The codes are usually in your manual and will help to diagnose any problems.
    Before powering on again though look over both sides of the mainboard carefully for any signs scorching.

iirc the 6400's are 125w processors and run VERY hot - what block and replacement cooler were you running?

11. doiwku

doiwku What's a Dremel?

I tryed hooking a speaker up to the motherboard but I dont think I did it right cause there was no sounds at all.

I was using a Aquagate S1 from cooler master and when I bought my new cpu, i bought a ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 Premium with it to save on shipping.

12. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

You can't really connect a speaker up wrong tbh as its just a couple of pins, if you're not getting any post codes at all and with everything you've said so far I think its safe to say the mainboard is definitely the issue unfortunately, your best bet would be to see if you can rma it for a replacement.

I'd also test the Aquagate to see if that's faulty, you can hotwire your psu with the aquagate connected to it by using a connecting wire from green to black wires on the atx plug and then plugging in to the wall socket, if it powers up you can rule out most psu issues as a bonus.

13. doiwku

doiwku What's a Dremel?

ok so I hooked a speaker up exactly how it should and there was no sound at all. There is no dought in my mind that there is no sound going to be played because I even used 2 speakers! Im very confused by the lights on my 3870 x2, there are 2 leds that turn on after about 1 second after I push power. I heard some were that if thoughs leds are on then there is a boot up problem? Its not confirmed though. I dont understand how to hook my aquagate up to my psu directly. Every wire coming out of my psu is ether black red or yellow. I really dont know what to do. At this point im almost currant that its my motherboard. I think im just gonna buy a new mainboard and be done with it!

14. doiwku

doiwku What's a Dremel?

ok so I took my current power supply and hooked it up to a new computer and the computer booted perfect and normal! But the computer is like around a 300w computer at most so maybe it could still be the powersupply? I know power supply's that are really high wats have like up to 4 power voltage compilers. Maybe my problem is that one two three or maybe even 4 have died out and im just using the pure wall outline. Like maybe the power is only alive enough to power the other computer but not my hard to run rig. Well I guess its a mainboard problem...
    im almost 80% sure so im going to buy one tonight!
    pease tell me if you guys think of anything!
    thanks for all the help!
    really

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

computers dont use much power on startup so if the psu gets a 300w machine to boot into windows it would at the very least get yours to post.
    instead of buying a new MB why not just RMA the one you have now? or is it past warrenty?

16. doiwku

doiwku What's a Dremel?

i bought my computer from cyberpowerpc so i never got the boxes for anything! just the manuals inside a new smaller box. the web site said i had to ship it in the original box witch has the serial code on it to get a rma
    =[

well i bought a mb!
    ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    =]
    should be here by monday
    ill keep you posted if it worked or not!
    really thank you all
    you guys greatly helped me out!