1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News XP SP3 breaks WHS RDP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 May 2008.

1. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

It messed up my sister's XP Home PC, and as for putting it on my MCE HTPC? do not want.
    Vista SP1's been giving me headaches too :(.

2. Maximinus

Maximinus What's a Dremel?

Sludge Pack 3

I had been deliberately holding off installing SP3 on my work PC until I'm not so busy with urgent work for big clients. However, last night, it was still running its nightly backup when I wanted to go home. A coworker offered to turn the machine off when the backup completed; I accepted the offer and went home. This morning, I found that she had told it to install updates and shut down - thus installing SP3.

I guessed that this was what had happened when I logged in, only to have that annoying little dialog box which you get when you first log on to a machine using an AD account - saying something about setting up personalised preferences for various software. It sat there claiming to be doing so for Internet Explorer - for at least a couple of minutes. I thought this was a little odd, but put it down to perhaps being something to do with the way that I never installed IE7, and so still have IE6. Once it finished that and logged me in properly, I noticed that my IE shortcut was missing from the quick launch bar - and when I went to grab it back from the start menu, I found it missing from there too! A quick win+r -> iexplore popped it up with no problems, so it was still there - SP3 had just decided to eat all shortcuts to it.

The other problem I've found so far is that Windows Live Messenger started two instances of itself - each one attempting to find the installation package (which appears to have been removed from the server, or perhaps renamed). After waiting for these dialog boxes to disappear once I had hit cancel - and killing one of the two instances - things seemed to be fairly normal; it ran just as before. It even exhibited the same issue as before, where clicking on a link in a message would cause the entire thing to hang, requiring its process to be terminated. Upon terminating the process, I went to re-launch it... only to have a single click of the start menu item launch two copies of it again! Not only that, but both copies once again did the Windows Installer thing. I managed to cancel out of them again, and proceeded to uninstall anything related to Live. I then downloaded a fresh installer and reinstalled Live Messenger from scratch, which appears to have fixed both issues - although when I first closed and re-opened it to test, it did require the installation files again. It seems to be fine now, though.

Here's a bit of background: I'm a web developer, meaning that I need IE available for testing; I also have a Virtual PC image which has IE7. As for Messenger, I hate it, but it's the primary method of instant communication within the company. I could install a different client, such as Pidgin, but I don't normally have too many issues with the Microsoft client - once it's been tweaked a bit.

-Max

3. mandy_modded

mandy_modded Minimodder

after loading i had the windows validation box keep popping up, and try as i would couldn't reactivate xp mce.

after a defrag the other day something screwed up the windows directory, resulting in an earlier re-install than the 20 days i had left for activation.

fortunately i had a spare 40GB hdd, so haven't had to wipe the main hdd and lose all the data i hadn't yet backed up.

On saturday i installed xp pro, after loading sp3 i found i had trouble activating windows still and like supermonkey i had several windows updates that were not installing due to unregistered .dll files, after finding the fix online, the activation/registration and updates are working again.

to quote dr zachary smith "oh the pain the pain"

4. sigmaxxx

sigmaxxx What's a Dremel?

Since this moment, the only problems that i have are:
    Video and sound.

I have a widescream monitor and the windows show image with 800X600
    and dont see my onboard sound.

Tags: Add Tags