1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 2 Hands-on Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 3 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It doesn't work like that. There are loads of different guns in the game and they can all be found in different states of disrepair. If you pick up a gun covered in rust and dirt then it might jam (I saw this happen three times in an entire days playing and even then only once to the player), but the guns themselves don't degrade over time. If you pick up a low quality gun then you can swap it if want to avoid jamming and change it for a higher quality, cleaner gun.

Even when the guns do jam you just hammer E a few times and you'll quickly fix the gun. It takes 3-5 seconds.

Different guns have different chances of jamming too. The AK-47 practically never jams, ever. The M16 on the other hand is really quite fragile, though slightly more accurate. It is a case of balancing.

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Not just one pre defined way to go? will it be the real deal (deus ex, hitman like freedom of choice) or wanna be freedom like too many other games?

the graphics look amazing, no aliens or mutants is a good thing as well and if it ends up with the better ai than crysis then its definitly a game to put on my list of games to buy.

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Sounds good... thank goodness for the lack of aliens. Far Cry was brilliant until then.
    When you say the fire spreads, how much does it spread? Can you accidentally set fire to the whole game world and kill everything? It would be a bit silly if you could.

It sounds like a version of STALKER but set in a different environment, which should be good.
    And what is wrong with the Dragunov?

4. CardJoe

Fire doesn't spread indefinitely. Some things will stop it in its tracks - rivers, rocks, metal - but if left in a flammable space then it seems to carry on going for a fair old while before slowly dying out. It'll go with the wind and spread as much as it can, but it has limits. It seems to start dying down after a few minutes.

5. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

I'm thinking of a Christmas PC upgrade then, to make sure I've got a machine spec'd to cope with the loveliness ... don't mind waiting I guess :)

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Looks really nice! Can't wait for this one to come out!

What? No Hawaiian shirt?! How could anyone be a bad ass merc without one?

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm quite looking forward to this, but i'll await reviews before committing to the inevitable upgrade of my poor aged a64, managed to get away with crysis but i suspect this will kill it.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh god, stop stealing out exclusives you medikit hating console tards!

/cries

9. Blood

Blood What's a Dremel?

Its modeled completely backwards - no AK based weapon has ever been built that way, with selector and ejection port on left side, and scope mount on right.

Its the same for lots of games, counter strike being one especially. All weapons modeled backwards.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

lol, can't blame them for wanting everything dumbed down, afterall, they don't have 50keys to assign.

any word on the performance of FC2 on 8800GTX/GTS512MB?? or do i have to buy the GTX280 to make this playable?

11. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner What's a Dremel?

I would like to know what the specs of the rig were for the 'hands on' preview.

Looks really nice though, if not a little poo coloured everywhere.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well this looks a hell of a lot better then those old pre release videos lol well another game and another reason to finish my new rig.

13. CardJoe

Don't know the exactos but I did ask and it was holding an 8800 and a full complement of RAM (3GB, I believe). That said, it was also running on a hi-def projector for a lot of the day and since this is unoptimised code it isn't at all indicative of what the minimum requirements will be.

I asked for those too and they haven't been finalised just yet - I was told it'll run decently on most mid-high range cards though.

14. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yeah, but there is running and then there is looking halfway decent.............

15. CardJoe

Either way, we'll know nearer the time. All I can say now is that the game I played was running on an 8800 GPU and looked awesome, with no framerate problems at all.

16. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

Anybody else have a Disney song pop into their head when they got to page 2?

17. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

Wow, it seems to live up to it's predecessor and improve upon it, but is it only me who is sad to hear that there won't be any lions in the game? It sounds like immersion would be increased a great deal if you could have these random encounters with lions (or any predator except humans), having to fight them off, scare them away, etc...

18. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

That looks 100x better then what i expected.

WOOT

19. CardJoe

Such a dazzling point of view...

20. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Counter-Strike's backwards gun models are actually kind of explainable... the dude who originally coded it was a lefty, so all of his models/anims were for left-handed players. Since most people are righties, he changed all the animations to righty by default simply by mirroring the models, which is why everything's done backwards. Not sure why other games began following suit, however... it makes no sense, and a lot of custom modelers for CS have done properly-animated and righty versions of the guns [which all look about a zillion times better than defaults, both for CS and CS:S].

Tags: Add Tags