1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment SLR vs Non-SLR Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Onlymortal, 4 Jun 2008.

1. Onlymortal

Onlymortal What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, Newb question I'm afraid

My brother is pestering me for a camera for his birthday, he's got a digi one thats a couple of yrs old (Canon, 5mp) but wants an SLR one... are they that much better?

Ta

2. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Well with a DSLR the quality of the lenses is much better how ever it is a more expensive camera. Also generally you have more freedom in how the shots are composed. I would say that if he curretly has a Point and Shoot canon he would appretiate a DSLR. I know i would, wink wink :)

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

dSLRs have more freedom when it comes to what you can do with it. They are also much easier to use in full manual mode. They have better image chips (more light sensitive) and are much faster (Both at startup and the frequency you can take pictures at). You can change the optics and accessories on it to match your needs, and so on.

Just remember that you can't exactly put a SLR camera in your pocket, so it's not as portable as a P&S. Oh, and they don't make great pictures for you. The camera is only a tool, the skill come from the photograph. ;)

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Why does he want an SLR? Is there a specific need he is trying to fill, or does he want because because they look cool and (if you believe the marketing) take better photos?

If he just wants to take snaps at the pub, stick to a P&S.

-monkey

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I tend to say that if you bring a SLR on a trip, you go to take photos. you don't go AND take photos.

Although I know a few people that bring their camera "just in case" (I tend to do that), but it's not really practical.

Having that said, having photography as an hobby is great.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

High end P&S cameras are getting pretty darn good. The Canon G9 and the Nikon P5100 are good examples of this. I am finding that I carry the P5100 a lot more in social situations and around town, rather then show up to a party with my D300 and SB800. Both those cameras have full manual control settings that let you pick shutter speeds, apertures and ISOs along with having idiot modes. I would steer him in that direction.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

:hehe:

Now that's a term I'll start using for sure! :D

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

My wife needed a new camera after her P&S died. After reading some reviews and looking at image samples, I chose the Nikon P50 over the P5100. She's not a photographer by any means, so the manual features of the P5100 weren't of any interest to her, and from what I could see the P50 had a slight edge in image quality. Now that the P60 is out you may be able to find a P50 for a discount.

-monkey

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Don't get me wrong, after a few cocktails I often just turn it to P and focus on getting the picture straight.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've been considering a bridge camera as a step-up from my Powershot A510 to get a much longer lens without the high cost of a true DSLR.
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3133

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Most people get pretty "idiot" after a few cocktails, so it's still good... ;)

12. Major

Major Guest

I know it takes a photographer to take a photo, but the whole "the more expensive the camera is, the better the images are" myth is so true, of course that is to an extent.

The reason I chose the Canon G9 was the fact that I didn't want to carry around a huge SLR when out and about, I can stick the G9 in my pocket etc.

13. joytime360

joytime360 What's a Dremel?

I think that Canon G9 is truely a good camera.

14. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

bloody hell you must ave a bit of money to spend to buy your bro a camara. nikon d40 is a good starting point but as others have said What does he really want out of a camera?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

15. lockdown

lockdown What's a Dremel?

The DLSR cameras are more better because it is not a waste of film.
    But it has a drawback because the quality of SLR cameras are more strong.

16. Jumeira_Johnny

Err, What?

17. Onlymortal

Thanks for all the replies guys, my brother is wanting to be a graphic designer (doing web design as well) so he's wanting to do some of the more complicated stuff - messing around with effects and things. So it sounds like DSLR is the way to go and he can keep his existing ones for the student nights out!

18. Onlymortal

Well I was going to suggest putting some money towards it with my parents - but they know zilch about technology so I thought I'd research a bit first.

19. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

LOL

same with my parents they are noobs! probably a good quality P&S would be more suitable like the canon G9, rather than a DSLR

umm...

20. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Just FYI....If you DO get a DSLR for your brother, every gift for many years is going to revolve around that....one you start with an SLR you cant stop. I think that there are many here who would agree with me.

Tags: