1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[HELP!] Computer wont POST [Advanced help Req]!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by aLtikal, 5 Jun 2008.

1. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Computer is refusing to POST atm. Its ALL brand new parts.

Specs are:
    GGigaByte GA-p35-DS3 [/B]
    C2D 8400 3ghz 1333fsb
    2Gb 1066 DDR2 Ram (Corsair Dominator)
    8800 GT 512 Point of View.
    Corsair 450W PSU
    500G HDD

THE PROBEM EXPAINED IN DETAIL :

First turn on..All Fans were spinning, all lights were on. EXCEPT the Graphics card's Fan was NOT spinning.

So i Re-seated the graphics card. Made sure the Power Plug was in. And tried again - Same problem.

I put the 8800GT into MY computer, it worked perfectly and ran crysis as it should do. SO i know the problem is NOT with the graphics card.

I Tested the PSU 24-pin cable on a power-supply tester and it said the power supply was Perfect.

SO i then plugged my 1 year old and perfectly working x1950 XT into the Faulty Computer..turned it on and it said "Plug in power cable to the video card!"...THE 6-Pin POWER WAS CLEARLY IN!

I dont understand :S how can it say plug in my power cable to my graphics card when its CLEARLY plugged in???

IS the motherboard Faulty? Is the 6pin PCI-E Power cable Faulty? Im lost for ideas atm:(

PLEASE Help

2. Alex6969

Alex6969 If it's fixed, I can break it.

I would test the PCI-E power connector. And pray that the PCI-E slot isn't bad.

3. aLtikal

4. Alex6969

That tester only tests MOBO power connectors. If you have a volt/amp meter can stick the black probe in the ground wire on the connector and put the red one in the yellow/red leads and see if you are getting the right volt/amp. Have you tried using a different PCI-E connector? Most PSU's come with more than one now a days, or use a four pin mollex to PCI-E adapter and try that.

5. aLtikal

Alex ill do that spare connection thing now. refresh this page in 10 mins please and i will have replied by then letting you know how it goes.

6. aLtikal

ALEX I BLOODY LOVE YOU ROFL IT WORKED!!!! IT WORKED LOL!

the spare connection thing was a wiked idea! thankyou so much :D:D

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

you have a bad 6 pin connection now, i would RMA the power supply if you still have a warranty on it.

8. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

yeh if the 6pin doesnt work then there may be something wrong with the psu, its a risk i wouldnt like to take (especially with all that lovely new gear), if its still under warranty then i'd try to rma it

9. aLtikal

Well as u saud before the PSU tester said everything else was ok...But your points are very valid as far as it goes and as its new its got like a 5 year warrenty lol.

Cheers boys

10. Alex6969

Glad to help a fellow techie in need.