1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have i broked my m/b :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dean0, 9 Jun 2008.

1. dean0

dean0 What's a Dremel?

Gone a bit mental today after i installed my new wc loop pc doesnt want work.
    I have taken all the component off the mb, gpu memory hd etc. and when i plug the power into the mb the light comes on but i wont power up, i have fans attached to the mb, but they dont turn on? is the mb nakered? very anoying :x :oops: :evil: i dont think its the psu its a 1000w coolermaster and its quite new, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Is the case switch connected to the motherboard? (yea i know it quite obvious but ive dont it befour hehe :blush:) or tryed jumping the motherboard switch contact with a screwdriver?

or next tryed starting the psu by connecting the green wire in the motherboard connector to ground?

just it sounds like something is not getting the psu to power up?

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Hmm, had a problem like this at work, the mobo leds turned on but no fans would spin. We tried a different psu and it worked fine. Might be worth trying a different psu.

4. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

had the exact same behavior today. psu was not totally dead yet (the led on the mb was on and fans moved a bit (3mm) each time i hit the power-switch) but after i tried an older psu that worked it was obviously the psu that caused the behavior.

5. dean0

dean0 What's a Dremel?

i have tested the psu, green/black wire, to fire it up and it works fine? what next?

6. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

on a similar vein maybe ... I had something similar where the reset switch was stuck so it was on ... but constantly resetting

is anything else plugged in?

7. staples

staples What's a Dremel?

I am in this same situation desperate not to let go of an old but good mobo.

I tried everything, the light comes on and it seems fine but not booting. Tried it in multiple cases with multiple psus but nothing.
    Had one like this before on a friends...

Could be mobo dude :(

Process of elimination and some good luck I say!

8. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

Power Supply Tester = $20
    Cheap alternative motherboard = $50

Returns = priceless.

9. idzver

idzver What's a Dremel?

hope its fixed, but if not

have you checked the bios? reset the settings and checked that it will startup without monitoring fans?
    also make sure the memory and cards are in place properly (sometimes they get moved a little)
    is the psu compatible with the mb?? are all the power plugs in?
    shouldnt be pulling too much power but if overclocked may be try resetting bios to standard clocks and try again.

if all else fails get new mb (is it under warranty?)

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

if you just installed a wc is it possible that something somewhere is shorting out the motherboard? Try taking it out of the case and see if it starts up.
    just a thought.