1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9800GTX SSC 3-way SLi instability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Langer, 7 Jun 2008.

1. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I've been having some intermittent instability problems with my new setup, mostly when in 3-way SLI. And always with the failing of "nvlddmkm.sys".

Build is as follows:
    Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 integrated may08 - updated <24h-ago. (also tried several vLite builds, to no avail)

CPU -- AMD Phenom 9850 X4 BE (cooled w/ enzotech extreme-x) **44-52degrees C idle-load**
    MOBO - ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe Mempipe (tried last three latest BIOS' - see below)
    RAM -- 8GB of CORSAIR TWIN2x4GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 (replaced memory - see below)
    GPU -- 3xeVGA 9800GTX SSC 3-way SLI (tried last 4 driver revisions - see below)**59-68degrees C idle-load**
    PSU -- SilverStone 1200WATT Modular PSU

The config has changed and modding has begun; if interested you can take a trip to my image gallery, linked below, to bare witness to the initial construction (the power switch/USB ports in the drive bay are for the PICO-ITX)
    Image Gallery

Current driver - 175.16 May 13, 2008
    Also tried:
    174.74 April 1, 2008
    175.16 May 6, 2008
    175.12 April 28, 2008

In BIOS:
    ram voltage - 2.1V
    northbridge - 1.55v (as-per suggestions of corsair tech)
    chipset ----- 1.375v (as-per suggestions of corsair tech)
    timings ----- 5-5-5-15
    SLI-ready --- high-frequency
    CPU OC ------ 0%
    memory ------ 2T unganged

Purchased 8gb of Patriot PVS24G8500ELK DDR2-1066MHZ 5-5-5-15 first but then replaced with Corsair, to confirm that it wasn't a memory problem. This stopped any BSODs that I was receiving but nvlddmkm.sys errors persists. (Upside: my new RAM has fans, which is a slightly cool bonus...far from worth the extra $400 spent however)

Googleing the issue seems to show that many others are experiencing similar issues and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggested solutions, or knows if nVidia has any solutions on the foreseeable horizon.

If not a solution, perhaps suggestions to increase stability.

Many thanks in advance.

-Jesse

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

I would imagine its just a simple driver issue that will get ironed out.
    Have you tried contacting nvidia or evga? They may have some workarounds for it that aren't immediatly obvious to find on google.

Also tips on increasing stability...How about a slightly more modest system :p

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd get rid of one of the cards and try again.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

how about taking 2 cards out? that should get you the stability you wanted.

5. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

What case is that?

6. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@ - Matticus
    Where's the fun in that?

@ - Mankz. & Wuyanxu
    Tried this also, actually tried combinations of every possible configuration with the hardware available to me; using my old 7800GTX KOs in SLi causes no trouble (with older drivers). The cards work by them selves, and they work when they are all installed; but when SLi mode is enabled stability comes with bum luck. Restarting the desired app a few times seems to work sometimes, coupled with lowering the resolution before entering the game. Luckily it hasn't caused any troubles during heavy rendering, leading my to believe its a directx problem with nVidia.

@ - Culley
    It's the Lian-Li PC-A60C 10th anniversary edition. #294 of 300, only 40 shipped to north America. I got mine from silverPCs but they can be found at xoxide also

7. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I've been scowering the web and this appears to be a very commong problem with a great many users of the new drivers, and seeming most all 9800 users.

Has anyone else here been experiencing this problem?

8. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

:jawdrop:

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

Off topic, I am so jealous of your case. And for that matter your whole system.

On topic, I imagine rolling back drivers to the earliest version for the card then working your way up if it doesn't work could help. Either that or just wait for nvidia to get some new drivers out.

10. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i get that same error every now and then with my single 8800gts. just a driver issue, i think. call up nvidia and bitch at them until they fix it.

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Thanks for the kind words on the case; my jaw hit the floor the first time I saw it online, had to have it. I have big plans for this case; stay tuned over the next few months as there's a project log coming soon.

I've rolled back and tired all drivers; whql and beta. Again no-dice. I'll just wait... focus on the modding, keep my head out of the games. Since I run video/3d software mostly I rarely need SLi enabled outside of games, instead favoring a 3 display setup. (On that note, the 9800GTX's can run Crysis across 3 screens, 1per card, on "high" settings at a solid 43FPS avg anyway... and goddamn that's a perdy game).

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

how does that work? 3 instances or some black magic?

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@wuyanxu

Guide to Running Crysis across three screens without the use of hardware such as the Matrox TripleHead2Go
    Step 1 - Plug in 3-displays (1per card for best performance)
    Step 2 - Create desktop shortcut for Crysis 32bit with the "c:\xxx"-dx9 command to force DirectX 9
    Step 3 - Download SofthTH 1.07 BETA(scroll down for link) and place the files in the Crysis.exe directory; this will enable the option for multiple screen resolutions in most all DirectX 8/9 games.
    Step 4 - Replace your config file with Gaco's modified config file, this will enable the best possible DirectX 9 visuals (also improves performance in dx9 I find, boosts fps on 3screens from ~35avg to ~43avg)
    Step 5 - Run game and set new resolution (38XX x 1024 is what I use)
    Step 6 - Restart game
    Step 7 - Enjoy!

I HIGHLY reccomend the Natural Mod mod/plugin for improved visuals and performance.
    Also the Reality Enhancement Mod patch, changes a huge number of things and ads some great effects; all for the "Delta" setting.

-Jesse

Last edited: 9 Jun 2008
  14. Matticus

Matticus ...

This natural mod looks pretty nice, I might give it a go on my laptop, just to see what settings I can run the game at.

Also I did a bit of reading around (to justify my off topic post :p), it seems that the instability problems occur more with AA on, maybe you could set the AA off or low. Just untill some better drivers come along.

15. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Matticus
    Tried that too... I'm certain I'll just have to wait.

16. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

I had this problem with my single EVGA 8800gt SC card. It turned out that it was a problem between the RAM and GFX card somewhere. I overclocked my system and it would run memtest, super-pi, etc without any problems. As soon as 3d graphics from a game would hit the screen, i'd get the dreaded nvlddmkm.sys error. I clocked my ram back to the stock 1066 mhz and stock voltage, but left the CPU overclocked and my problem went away. Swapped out the 8800gt for a 3870, install appropriate drivers, re-overclocked the memory, and no problems at all. This was about 2 months ago, I haven't tried any of the newer NVIDIA drivers since. I'm waiting to see who wins the upcoming card release before going out and buying another card.

17. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@jkeyser14
    First off, many thanks You've given he hope yet. I just want to be clear; are suggesting that I try overclocking my cpu a tad to see if it'll better handle the communication between the ram and gfx?

18. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

I was suggesting that it's a speed mismatch problem between the 9800GTX and system RAM. I would try the following two things, one at a time at first, and then maybe both combined.
    1) downclock RAM a small amount in the bios, below it's rated speed by 15-50 MHz, see if it has an affect (it will require playing with the multipliers)
    2) downclock GFX card by 15-50 MHz, see if that has an affect (will require using riva tuner)