1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Mini Project "PowerUser" Project Update 100608

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by antiHero, 9 Jun 2008.

1. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Hello everybody!

As some of you might know I already have a project running but havnt been doing anything in ages as I diceded that I dont really need a LAN rig. This project will be a short mod as i need a small and simple case for my linux box.

The case I will be using is a PowerUser tape drive for some Atari computer. I found it a while back in a fleemarket and because I am a sucker for old hardware and the price was 2€ I has to buy it without really knowing what it is. My first plan was to build a extrenal HDD case from it but after I got my hands on a cheap ITX mobo my pla changed.

Here some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started the build already some days ago before I thought I could make a project log. Some of the cables inside are already gone but I think you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The powersuply:

[​IMG]

Text on the tapedrive:

[​IMG]

Lets get nekkit :naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it from the stripping. You can see the first cutout i made in the back. Forgot to take pics but it wasnt that much so more cutting to come :dremel:

Thats it for now. I will propally change the name when I come up with anything better.

Next up: Hardware!

antiHero

Last edited: 10 Jun 2008
  2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

As promised now the hardware to this project.

First up the mobo. Its a Via mini ITX motherboard running at 600MHz and 512mb DDR. It also has a 60W picoPSU sitting on to which will be plenty for my use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up the HDD.
    Standart 60GB Hitachi Travelstar. Nothing special but I had it knocking around and dont really want to spend anything extra on this build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you see a first mockup of how the hardware will be mounted. As you can see its a pretty snuggle fit, with the hdd fitting precislly.

[​IMG]

I got really lucky with this case as the topclearing above the Ram is only a couply of milimeters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the first cutout on the back. I will have to cut a lil more as my mesuring was not as precise as it should be :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally some pics of the empty case. Note that the hole in the fron will be closed and only the power led in the left lower corner will be vicible.

Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Next up some modding :dremel:

antiHero out!

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

No comments?

4. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

looks pretty good so far. what are you going to cover the front with?

5. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Huh man ... why you are asking about comments? I'm a bit speachless in this thread! I'm too jelous about that PowerUser "case" :). but I can assure you that i will be watching it! I just love every project with Via MoBo s.
    Keep it going m8!

6. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

That is seriously cool man a power user!
    turned into a linux box!
    seriously sweet man!

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Comments?
    You need an LCD on the front pannel.

Have mini-itx mods seemed to fizzel out but its nice to see one working again.

8. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Thx guys.

@ tominated: I gone use a plain drive cover from an old case and use bondo to get it fixed.

@ HeXeN: I was just wondering that after 3 hours no comments.

@ AJB2K3: Dont think I gone put an LCD there. First of I dont really want to spend any money on this project and it would be a problem to get the cable in the case as the tray slides out and the lcd stays at the front.

I will put up an update when I am home from work to explain my plan for this mod. Keep the comments coming.

cheers

antiHero

9. th3ory

th3ory What's a Dremel?

it would be cool to somehow keep the case looking the same as it did when you started, i would try and remove as much of the tape drive front as possible and attach that directly to the case, it will look 'stock' that way

just a thought

10. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I thought about that too but I will mod the top of the case for venting so it wont look stock anyway. I will try thou to get a very plain and stock look for the front with only 1 power led and the case batch.

11. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Update time!

As I promised now a lil update with my plans on what to do. The reason for this mod is that I want to have a complete silent FTP/Torrent server following Glider`s exelent linux guide.
    To achive this I needed a passive cooled system with low power usage in a small physical size. So ITX is the way to go. As i want to go passive I have to do some cuts on the top of the case which will be covered in mesh afterwards.

Seen here:

[​IMG]

Plus the front will be closed completly.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps some folks to understand where I am going with this.

Now on to the modding :dremel:

As you can see I am not the best modder so I am not as precice as I would like to be.

[​IMG]

This has to go:

[​IMG]

So after some cutting and filling it looked like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much better now :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this I tackled the lag of USB ports. 2 are way to few imo. For that I used one of those USB header thingys :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Choosing the spot on the back

[​IMG]

Messuring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the resedue,but I cant find my sticker remover spray. It will all be sanded down before painting anyway.

Thats it for now

Comments welcome

antiHero out!

12. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

niceness
    are you gonna cut out the rest of the back for the io?

13. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Man, there's a lot of really cool projects kicking around here right now...awesome work! :clap:

14. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Dont need it. I thought about using the I/O shield but the case is to low for it so I only use VGA, PS2 and USB. Dont really need them later anyway because it should run headless but you never know when you need some USB plugs :D

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sticker goo can be cleaned off with zippo lighter fluid,
    or gasoline,
    or carburetor cleaner...

16. xQlusive

xQlusive German Hardstyle Addict :)

where the hack is the plug for the pico psu ?!?
    didn't found any :), is it plugged via 230V? and then where?^^

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Put a nice silenx 40mm fan in the original location on the back and put the Pico PSU plug between the fan and the USB. I like this one a lot. :thumb:
    John

18. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

@ xQlusive: you can see the plug here in the first pic. Its the black/white cable on the left. It uses one of those externl PSU`s who look like laptop chargers.

@ jhanlon303: I dont intend to use any fans in this mod as I want complete silence and 40mm fans are not really known for there low dB output :D.

Have not modded much in the past days as the European championship is keeping me busy. I gone go buy the mesh and bondo today and do some modding on saturday as today germany is playing and I cant miss that. :D

19. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Sorry for the lag of updates as I am STILL trying to track down a special kind of mesh for the top and I cant find it anywhere. Also my hunt for the power button is fruitless so far. :waah:

I want a big square red button on the back and cant find the one I want :wallbash:

I really want the stuff I have in mind for the mod and if it takes long to find it I am willing to wait as I dont want to use something I am not 100% on.

Tags: