1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrlanrat, 11 Jun 2008.

1. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you are aiming a really quiet computer, then Antec fans are not really quiet. See another fan.
    I have my antec case, and it has a 120mm antec fan, and its not my quietest fan at low speed, lets say.

My trick to make it quiet, is to take HDD rubber thingies, cut it in 2, and put it on either end of the case back metal, and pass the fan screw. Now that made is quiet at low speed.

As for your video card, get the 512MB model, the 1GB is actually slower in most games.
    You are better off spending on a OC model. If you have a big monitor, perhaps the GTX might be the best choice.

If you are aiming at a quiet computer, then the case is bad. You need ~50-60$ more for a proper case with quiet in mind. Remember that does mean it is quiet that you computer will heat more... Also it's no about the # fans you have that will give you a better cooling. It's all about engineering.

Now all you need is Vista 64-bit. That is if you want not only use all your 4Gb of RAM (as it is a 64-bit OS), but also your multi-core CPU, as Vista takes complete advantage of it, and itself is all programed in multi-core CPU in mind.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2008
  3. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Is there any reason you went with the 6400 and amd? reason I ask is they are bloody hot processors and you will struggle to get any overclock out of it, a quick look on newegg and you can get an E4700 for less or an 8200 for 30 dollars more that will give you more oc headroom and even at stock will likely outperform the current Amd offerings.

If you are dead set on AMD ditch the ram for some 6400 as that is the maximum the on chip memory controller supports, latencies don't make a noticeable difference on my rig to be worth the extra.

+1 with what Goodbytes said.

4. mrlanrat

5. mrlanrat

6. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

It's not my cup of tea, but we all have different tastes, and if you like it, it doesn't really matter what we think about it :idea:

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

NZXT make decent cases, can't say I've looked at too many though.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm wondering why you're going to use AMD when a similarly priced Intel core processor will give much more performance.

You could get an Asus board with build in WiFi aswell.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

AMD CPU's are known to be more stable than Intel.
    If I was building a business computer, and performance is not an issue for someone I would defiantly with AMD.
    However, we are gamers and we want performance over stability as we don't case for an hyper extreme stable system, and so far, for us, Intel Core 2 duo/quad makes a great job.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm sorry but this statement is complete bullshoot.

Why does Intel sell millions of CPUs and chipsets to OEM manufacturers a year?

edit: oops, sorry Mankz :blush:

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

No :lol:

12. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

My brother will be the first to disagree, he had no end of problems getting his 6400 stable due to overheating problems. the eventual solution was to underclock it until he took delivery of a TRU120E. Even now his processor idles higher than mine on full load.

Personally if you are adamant about staying with AMD I'd save yourself $60 and get the 5000+BE, from what I've read on the net they'll pretty much all hit 3ghz at stock voltage just raising the unlocked multiplier, I have mine at 3.1 with a higher vcore but I've hit limits with my board's power delivery not the processor. The 65nm Brisbanes run a LOT cooler than the 90nm Windsors and will help with temps of your whole system.

13. Crazed Modda

Crazed Modda Paladin

:nono:

Opinion, not fact.

14. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

If you want silence, go with a different processor, as the K8 architecture puts out a lot of heat at those speeds on a 90nm process as has been said. The Windsor core is quite old tech now and the 65nm X2s produce much less heat and that leads to an overall more quiet system as the fans don't have to run as fast to cool it. To compare Core2Duos to Athlon64 X2s, my E4400 at 2.66GHz(with a voltage bump) ran the same temps as my friends 4200+(90nm) at 2.4GHz(stock voltage I believe), despite the fact that his cooling was better, he had a Zalman 9500, I have a Zalman 7000. I suppose if you don't need quiet or a cool running CPU the 6400+ is ok, but a Core2Duo or a 65nm X2 would be a much better choice if you want low heat or a quiet computer.

:hehe: Tell that to the 486 system I have that still works just fine :p