1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traffic Violation Help

Discussion in 'General' started by DivineSin, 13 Jun 2008.

1. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

So down on the beach where we live there are designated crosswalks with flashing lights when someone is crossing. I got pulled over today and issued a $123 dollar ticket for not stopping at one of them when the lights were flashing. I told the cop I thought I only had to stop when the person was on the median/my side of the road. He tells me it doesn't matter, if the lights are flashing I have to stop. So I get home, pretty pissed and look up the statute that I violated. It reads....

(7) When traffic control signals are not in place or in operation, the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger. Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

It is written kind of crazy so I want to get this right, and here is a diagram of the situation. Am I in the wrong or is the officer? I'd also like to mention that the ***** let a white SUV do exactly what I did, but waited for me to do it to turn on his lights. I'm 22 and drive a 79 Camaro. I personally believe he pulled me over because of that. I even asked him about it and he told me that he can't pull two people over and I was the one he was behind. Which is retarded...since he was parked in the median.

[​IMG]

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

So let me get this straight - you moved off at the point described exactly as you have drawn above? The person hadn't reached the median? If so, then you shouldn't have got a ticket imho.

Most laws fall under interpretation by their respective enforcers. Somehow I imagine you were victimised, as many young drivers are, and some rightly so.

Unless you can conclusively prove that you weren't in the wrong, I imagine you'll have to put up with it tbh. Maybe register a complaint with his department, but if there's nothing to show you're telling the truth it probably won't add up to much.

3. DivineSin

Yea, I was driving past the crosswalk and that was where the person was. Hadn't even touched the median yet. The only problem I see is that the statute the ticket says I violated is for when traffic signals are not in place or in operation. I can't find a statute for the signals the implemented on the beach a few months back.

I think I was victimized though. I instantly got a tazer pulled on me after he asked me if I saw the flashing lights. Why? Because he saw my boning knife sitting in the front seat and I hadn't told him it was there. Then he was a complete **** to me the entire time.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I dont think you should get a ticket, a warning would suffice. but seeing a knife in the front seat would of pissed him off and the chance of a warning is gone.
    however, going by the law, you did break it so I think that you will have to pay it. you can ask for a warning in court though. worst they can do is say no.

5. DivineSin

How did I break the law if the statute says you don't need to stop if the pedestrian is on the other side of the road?

6. Krikkit

I think perhaps we're getting down to the root of an officer's attitude. I think that telling someone you have a large, sharp knife in arm's reach would be very helpful indeed.

Even if he was just going to warn you, maybe that part changed his mind a touch?

7. DivineSin

I would have warned him if he had asked if I had any weapons in my car. He literally asked me if I saw the flashing lights and then if he could see my License...and then pulled a tazer on me when he saw it.

8. Krikkit

The first thing after "Hello Officer" should've been "I must warn you that there is a knife on my passenger seat which I have no intent on using or approaching."

9. DivineSin

I've never had a problem with it and the last time I was pulled over (by a proper and polite police officer) almost immediately asked me if I had any weapons in the car. This is how I've heard it play out every single time I've witnessed someone getting pulled over as well. Then again apparently its not illegal to not tell an officer I had a knife in my car nor is it illegal to have one sitting on my front seat. As I didn't get a ticket for it. Bitchy cops are just bitchy. :D

10. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

when traffic control signals are in place and operational, as you said they were, you must obey them. and flashing "pedestrian crossing" lights mean you have to stop, no matter where the pedestrian is. you deserved the ticket, no matter how much of a dick the cop was.

11. Krikkit

I'm sorry, but there's a big difference between being required by law, and just general courtesy. Their job isn't made easier by assholes.

There's also a big difference between "weapons in the car" and a weapon about 6 inches from your hand. Alright the first part implies the second, but still.

12. DivineSin

This is the exact statute I was given a ticket for. The flashing lights must not be traffic control signals. The definition of a 'Traffic Control Signal' would be a signal found at an intersection, which would be why I was given a violation of that statute.

I was far from an asshole, even after he pulled out his tazer. I apologized for not telling him (even though he really never gave me a chance) and answered his questions with 'no sir' and 'yes sir'.

13. Krikkit

Fair enough if you didn't get chance, but you see my point. :p

14. DivineSin

No, not really. I understand an Officer's job is dangerous and he doesn't know if someone is violent or not. However, you DON'T and I repeat DON'T act hostile to someone unless you are in immediate danger or ask a few questions first. Actually, how much harm could I have done even if I went for my knife? I would of had to reach over, pull it out of its case, open my door and then lunge at the officer. This is when an officer should pull out his or her weapon. Not a peaceful conversation to tazer in the face.

15. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Ok just slightly off topic but I'm surprised no one else has asked but why exactly did you have the knife next to you on the seat whilst driving anyway?

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

It's just like school bus stop lights.. cars have to stop on both side of the street, even if no kids are crossing the road.

17. DivineSin

Haha, I'm a cook. I use it every morning to cut grouper fillets. I can't leave it at work or else it'll get used by our food preps and then get dull quickly. Plus its the sharpest knife in the place and I don't like other people using it. I work 10hrs every day 6-7 days a week so when I get in my car I'm just about exhausted and it just kinda gets tossed wherever

This would be true if the road wasn't separated by a median.

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Nope, wrong, I got pulled over and almost got a ticket for thinking that when passing a school bus on opposite side of road, separated by a very large median.

Though managed to talk my way out of it for genuinely not knowing that a median mattered (and actually, bus put the lights on after I started passing by it on the other side.. Silly cop..)

19. DivineSin

Ignore that. I was wrong. :D

20. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

That is really annoying when theres no one crossing the road while youve stopped! Its like some ****** kid walks past an ust pushes it for no reason!