1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista 64bit or Vista 32Bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peter187, 16 Jun 2008.

1. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

Hello

I'm looking at buying Windows Vista 64bit to replace my Vista 32bit (which will go on my old machine)...Does anyone with 64bit Vista have any problems with any of there games video cards X-Fi soundcards etc etc...I am going to keep my dual boot setup with the Vista 64bit and 32bit XP.
    I mostly use my computer for gaming.

Also is there a great deal of difference between Vista Ultimate and Home Premium 64bit because Ultimate is going to be $100 more

My comp specs are below

Thanks

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have had no troubles with vista 64 bit. In fact it has been much faster and more stable than XP ever was for me. Now that ive got my 8800GT games are faster in vista than they where in XP too.

You may have some issues with the sound card, I know some people get issues some dont. The thing that used to be the main problem was lack of driver signing for things like soundcards, but vista 64 is very very strict on driver signing, but I am pretty sure they will have that sorted now.

No point going for ultimate unless you want, business networking, hard drive encryption and some ultimate extras. I use home premium and it does everything I want.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Basically ultimate is like home premium and business meshed together.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Vista 64-bit runs without issue for me as well. I found Vista 64-bit superior then the 32-bit edition, and since I have Vista 64-bit, I simply cannot stand Windows XP anymore (I just feel like trashing the computer... yea, that bad!).

As for gaming, I also found the games run at the same speed as Vista, if not faster. Although on my testing their was a very few of my games that were slower... about 5fps less, however I don't know if it is because I was not exactly positioned at the same place at the same time. So it's hard to know if it was simply bad test. And even then, 5fps is NOT visible AT ALL, unless you enjoy playing your games as a slide show.

I think we can basically say that the driver optimization is mostly resolved. Just make sure you have the latest drivers from the hardware manufacture or chipset manufacture website instead of Windows Updates. The reason is that Microsoft like to test new drivers on their system and approve them.

Just make sure that if you are printer, scanners, etc... they have Windows XP 64-bit or Vista 64-bit drivers. For peripherals, Vista 64-bit is not too picky about driver signature.

4. danmec

danmec What's a Dremel?

Can't say I'm convinced by Vista myself, I'm still on XP, but I have read a great number of articles and from what I can tell (since you are buying one or the other) the 64 version is certainly more worthwhile than the 32 version.

5. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

64 bit is the way to go now. Before, there were quite a few compatibility issues that prevented it from being the main choice, but these seem to be sorted now, so there isn't any reason at all to avoid it.

6. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

Does 64-bit let you run unsigned drivers now or not?

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Mine fell over and died when I tried lol

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Mine works fine with all the drivers I've tried - it warned me about them being unsigned, but I could still install them. I'd definitely go with 64-bit. :)

9. GoodBytes

+1 for oasked.
    My sound card have unsigned drivers and it works fine.

10. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

Thanks for all your posts it was most helpful

64bit it is then.

I'll be keeping my dual boot for sometime to come just in case I have any problems with Vista as I still find XP useful.

11. GoodBytes

Remember something, that by default Windows Media Center, Media player are set to 32-bit.
    I recommend you get this codec pack. It works wonderfully under Vista. Also they are all 64-bit codecs!
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...-Video-Codecs/VistaCodecs-x64Components.shtml
    It comes with a tool to convert all file association and shortcuts from both programs above from 32 to 64-bit.
    Media Player/Center 64-bit cannot use 32-bit codecs, same the contrary.