1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Titan 650, 12th June

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by okapi, 13 May 2008.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Nice and clean! my type of modding :thumb:

I like what you did with our grills opaki :) Don't ever sell it, a collector grill now. Because we've stopped making them. We now cnc mill the center.. (youtube link)

2. Stef

Stef What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

As it says on the label, these are alignment/probe and pick tools.

The alignment ones are just small plastic screwdrivers, used to adjust/calibrate pcb mounted trimpots, cermets, variable resistors etc. while electrical equipment is powered up.

They use plastic as it's not conductive and is less destructive if you slip, although you can usually get away with using some of those small jewellers screwdrivers if you're careful.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

So Bill, you've stopped making the 'standard' 120mm fan grills then?

4. Cigano

Cigano \O/

Vrey good it´s color, good job´s !!!

5. okapi

okapi What's a zebra?

Thanks Bill, that means a lot coming from you. Too bad about those grills; I really liked the design. I ordered the remaining ones my previous source had in stock.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

i would like to see some pics of that red acrylic if you can please?
    I wonder how RED it is:)

7. okapi

okapi What's a zebra?

A good question. You need a standard, since RED depends on lighting, my camera, your monitor and the vagaries of whatever software is being used. Luckily, I have one. :thumb:

Check out this picture. It was taken in daylight under overcast conditions, which are ideal for our purposes. The chart is a Gretag-Macbeth color checker, used by still photographers and filmmakers to see how close their images are to reality. Now I know what the chart looks like, since I have one to look at. You might not. I'm sure you could find one at a photo shop if you're really interested. Suffice to say the red third down from the top and second from the left in the picture is "true" red. Below true blue and true green, above yellow, magenta and cyan. The acrylic is on a sheet of "white" paper (funny how it's not really white). As you can see, it's red, not orange or pink. The dark spot at the lower right of the acrylic is a reflection.

[​IMG]

But what about transmitted light, which is the whole point of transparent acrylic? Same objects, this time lit by electronic flash, which is a pretty good imitation of white light. You can see the light transmitted through the acrylic is indeed red.

[​IMG]

The best (only?) source I've found for this really RED acrylic in the US is Delvie's Plastics.

BTW, I love phinix cube. I want to make a cube style case sometime.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks.
    You see, I tried 2 different "red" acrylics and comapred to yours looks like I still didn't actually hit the right one:) My dark red looks pretty similer to your but I think its a little bit too dark. Problem is when you mount red acrylic parts in your system you will see in day light that they have strange bright pink/orange coloers, especially on edges. When I used transparent (non UV) acrylicc, that darker one as my mobo tray - in real life at the day light it looks almost black..:(
    Looks like it is hard to build a case with red acrylics accent;) Unless youput something bright right under it, like white paper:)

9. okapi

okapi What's a zebra?

July 6th update

The body, but not the front, of this case is nearly complete.

[​IMG]

PSU is mounted, window is mounted, right side panel is mounted. Cable management will be improved a bit, although it is not easy in this server case. Bulgin switches have been sleeved but not installed. I'm experimenting with lighting:

[​IMG]

The CCFL(s) will be better hidden, of course. I might decide to go with two 4" CCFLs instead of 12". A couple more red fans have yet to be added to the front.

I received a new toy in the mail:

[​IMG]

This case seems a perfect candidate for some flames on the otherwise blank right side panel, so I'll be trying that once I get some practice in.

Tags: