1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Cheap 8600gts - What's the catch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crazybob, 17 Jun 2008.

1. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I was browsing Newegg today and found this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814186036

I know an 8600gts isn't a particularly good card, but that's ok; I've already got a good card. At that price, the value is remarkable - at $65, it's $25 cheaper than the next cheapest card, and at least $55 cheaper than the rest of the 8600gts's. However, it appears to be a reference design and the overall specs look perfectly standard. Am I missing something? What's the catch? I'm thinking about buying the card for a spare, just because it's so cheap, but I don't want to buy junk.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

I'd steer you away from any Foxconn video card, it's not really their forte if you catch my drift. Another reason it's so cheap is because the 8600 series GPU's were pretty much a flop for all intents and purposes. The ATI 2xxx series cards were/are much better in comparison, especially in terms of a card for a HTPC. If you're looking for dirt cheap and you're not doing heavy gaming, I'd definitely pick the ATI cards over any 8600 GPU. And if there's games in your future and you're on the cheap I'd go with a version of the 9600GT. For only about 25-30 bucks more you'd be getting oodles more performance over any low-end previous generation card.

Hope I helped, GL :thumb:

3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I think you may have missed my point. I know the 8600-series were bad value when they came out, but they're still expensive - this one's barely half as expensive as most. I also realize there are far better cards for gaming; I already have a 9600gt. However, I'm interested in putting together a spare computer for friends to play games on when they're over, so a similarly-priced Radeon really won't cut it. And sure, Foxconn might not be a big name, but it's a reference design, so it's pretty likely to work.

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Pretty good price. I would personally go for it.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Could NewEgg have missed out an 'Open box' notification? Though after rebate it's only $5 less than the Asus Silent 8600GTS, same DDR3

6. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

It's actually $5 more than the Asus; nice catch. I'm not a big fan of rebates, but I'll have to consider it.

7. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

My call is a loud fan. Just a guess, But my 100$ card has an annoyingly loud fan...

8. JpBg

JpBg What's a Dremel?

probably just because its foxcon if something isn't reliable they just pawn it off for cheap till they get rid of their stock check out some ati that are in the same performance area they might have a a cheaper card that is more reliable. if not and you really need it just go for it because you might end up being like the guy who first ate an egg it could be successful