1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hayf-a-a-Hayfe-atchoo!

Discussion in 'General' started by modgodtanvir, 19 Jun 2008.

1. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

(Sorry about the thread title :p)

Hayfever.

As depressing as ebola, and as useful as face cancer, it plagues us all from time to time, effectively ruining the summer.

So what are your experiences? How does it affect you? And what do you do to stop it?

Personally, I get eyes which stream and itch like anything, and I feel like my eyelids are coated in glasspaper. When I start to sneeze I can't stop, and it hurts my throat. My nose is either running like the Thames, or blocked like the Hoover Dam. This makes it impossible to sleep (thats what MGS4 is for :p). I get this general stickiness around my eyes, and I think I'm losing essential fluids, since I have headaches and feel similar to how you feel when you have really bad diarrhea. I also get the sensation of weird reverberations in my lungs when I breathe, which makes funny noises and makes me feel like I've swallowed a kazoo.

As for treatment, I take Piriton, since it seems to provide a temporary relief of the symptoms, though I find myself taking two on the occasion it is worse than usual. Their effectiveness also seems to be waning slowly. I have also tried the loratadine tablets (like Clarytin) and I have so far seen no apparent benefits. I've tried eyedrops, which effectively reduces the redness and removes that glass-paper effect, though my eyes are still itchy. The nose thing really can't be helped. I've tried olbas, to little effect, and the Vicks nasal thing is useless since I can't actually blow air through the nostril. I think I'll have to ask the Doc for some Becconase which has worked before. I keep having to wash my face to relieve stickiness, but this makes the eyes worse. I try and eat and drink as much as I would normally, in order to restore lost fluids and energy, but this is difficult when I feel like I have a weasel in my throat. And to treat all that excess mucus, I find a few puffs of the blue inhaler helps.

At the moment, I want to behead myself. Luckily, I can keep the pollen on a low by closing my window and plonking myself in front of a TV, but unfortunately, I have to go to school, and next week, as a prefect, I have a sports day to help organise on the fields. Shoot me now.

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Only having sneezing so far, and the odd itchy eye. Usually ten times as worse.
    Currently not taking anything, but if it gets worse i'll get that good stuff that you can get prescribed, everything off the shelf is rubbish.

3. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

There's stuff which can be prescribed? My dude tells me there's "no such thing". Can you get me a name?

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Used to get it really badly as a kid, but I'm not too bad now, just occasional runny nose / eye watering. AFAIK there are two types of antihistamine, loratadine and the other ones. Loratadine are useless IMO, the others can help but are no outright cure.

I feel for you, it can be ****ing horrible; if it helps try knocking back a few beers, it usually buys me some respite.

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

If someone else doesn't list it before tomorrow, i'll find out for you mate :)

6. Matticus

Matticus ...

My bro gets prescribed antihistamines. They seem to help, but he is still sneezing and has watery eyes occasionally, just not as bad as he would be without it.

I think I have very mild hayfever, it only gets set off when im laying on the grass, or very close to flowers and plants. I did have a really bad day the other week, so I know what your going through. What is odd is that this is the first year I have shown any symptoms, I sure hope I haven't developed it somehow.

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I've done triple and quadruple overdoses on almost every over-the-counter antihistamine to absolutely ZERO effect. Maybe my body just doesn't respond to antihistamines. I've used a rather powerful prescribed antihistamine last year and its effectiveness was wildly inconsistent and generally short-lived.

The doctor says my last resort is taking medication intravenously every day. For now, I'm using Entex LA (enormous pills that feel like swallowing sniper ammunition) which is working mildly well so far. However, I need to supplement it with Visine eyedrops since Entex LA isn't an antihistamine, so it doesn't treat irritation.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I get quite bad itchy eyes (which, if scratched, get 10 times worse), a sore throat, and a runny nose. It's not that bad, and I can usually cope with it, but I might go down to the doctor this year.

My sister gets really bad hayfever, and she's on a combined course of nasal spray, eye-drops and a tablet to take, and it does wonders. She gets basically 0-symptoms, as opposed to being near-paralysed with itchy, swollen puffy eyes, etc etc. I'll find out what she's on tomorrow, and post back here for those that fancy it. :)

9. [EOCF] Tim

[EOCF] Tim What's a Dremel?

10. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

I stick ear plugs up my nose.

11. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I dont seem to get it at all, i guess im lucky.

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

All I can tolerate is Ocean(Saline solution) for the nose and Visine for the eyes. OH, and a steady at hand supply of Kleenex. I suffer every year especially here in Denver where there are wind blown weeds from who knows where.
    John

13. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I used to get sick all the time. Now the last time I got sick was in 2003.
    I refuse to take any medication, ever. Unless its for an infection when you have no choice. I am a firm believer that medication is a short term cure that causes long term dependancy.

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You can get an injection at private health clinics, my next door neighbour gets one every 7 weeks and they cost £40~ apparantly.

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I have terrible hay-fever. I take one Citirizene (or something like that) at 10pm and its fine for the next 24Hrs. My life is seemingly hellish without it.

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I take a combination of Nasonex (prescribed nasal spray that seems to just kill the inside of my nose) and Benadryl. The combination work wonders for me. Unfortunately I have to take Nasonex all the time and Benadryl whenever I go home, whatever time of year. It is not so much the pollen, more the horses (at home) and generally my nose being defective all the other time.
    My various problems have removed much of my sense of smell too, which at time can be quite helpful but can also be incredibly annoying.

17. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I've never had it before now :( I was going to make a thread but ... didn't
    My eyes are a real bitch, always red and itchy but I have conditioned myself not to touch them. (**** I just did) Laying a cold flannel over them when theyre getting rather annoying is quite soothing.
    I sneeze quite a bit, me and some mates have competitions and my nose is always blocked and yet runs at the same time. Sleeping isn't as easy as it was.

18. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

itchy eyes and sniffly around any tree pollen, and i work as a landscaper. to be fair, hayfever suffers make it sound worse than it is...you don't hear the dude with no legs complaining but you sure as hell hear the hayfever boys...suck it up guys it aint that bad.

19. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

I only get it mildy thankfully

20. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Benadryl and local honey as a replacement for sugar keep mine under control just some sneezing , although its getting later and later each year before i start to suffer. Now when i was a lad.. that was some serious hayfever, I was basically diagnosed as an allergic asthmatic because of the breathing problems I had, the whites of my eyes used to swell up and go yellow making me practically blind, desensitisation injections worked great till they banned them in the UK (lucky I was living in Germany) because people went home and died of anaphylactic shock.