1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Best ADSL router for long lines?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatOldOne, 17 Jun 2008.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Hi guys,

I'm on a Max ADSL product, and after changing my master socket face plate for an ADSLNation filtered one & a general tidy up of my extensions, I've managed to up my sync speed from 2.5Mb to 3.5Mb. I'm hungry for more though. :)

I'm on (aledgedly) a very long line to my exchange - when I first got broadband way back when, it was touch and go as to wthere I'd get the then normal .5Mb line.

I've heard that certain routers can give higher sync speeds than others on long, possibly noisy lines - usually ones with the broadcom chipset.

Does anyone have any evidence of this? Have any of you swapped routers and got a better speed? A healty increase (>.5Mb)?

If so, what have you got? Would you recomend it?

I'm running a 3COM Office Connect Router (3CRWDR100A-75) at the moment.

Ta,

GOO

2. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Out of curiosity (I'm a long way from my exchange) what exchange and how far away from it are you?

I'm going to finish my m0n0wall box soon and was looking to see about upgrading my BeBox too.

3. GreatOldOne

I'm on the Hardingstone exchange. As the crow flies, I'm only a couple of klicks away - but the copper snakes all over the shop to get to me. I believe the last time I checked I was something like 5km away via the line.

My current router reports my line thus:

Code:
    Data Rate
    Stream Type	Actual Data Rate
    Up Stream	448 (Kbps.)
    Down Stream	3552 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
    Operation Data	Upstream	Downstream
    Noise Margin	19 dB	        10 dB
    Attenuation	62 dB	        50 dB

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If Broadcom chips are supposed to be best, then I don't think they'll come much better than the Netgear DG834GT - if you use the DGTeam custom firmware you can set the SNR yourself (and hopefully synch a bit faster in the process).

I gained an extra 1Mbps that way (although I'm about 2.5km from my exchange, and with 24Mbps to play with so YMMV of course).

5. GreatOldOne

Would that firmware work on the DG834v4 (non Wireless) version? I don't need wireless as I plug an airport express into the router to give me Apple compatible WDS wireless.

6. Krikkit

I'm not sure tbh mate - I can't find any info about it, all the pages relate to the DG834G/GT/N and a few others, no mention of the non-wireless versions. I wouldn't suggest it tbh.

7. GreatOldOne

I'll pick up a GT then - I'll just turn the wireless off.

I've also just requested my MAC code from pipex - I'm going to go with O2, as they have ADSL2+ LLU kit in my exchange, and as I'm already an O2 mobile user, I get the service for £7.50. So fingers crossed I'll get a faster service for less dosh.

I'll be getting the O2 router as part of the service, which I'm led to believe is a Thompson Speetouch with breathed-on firmware. Are they any good? Or should I just leave it in the box and grab the GT?

8. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

The O2 wireless box isn't particularly good imo...
    - Extremely limited config options: eg can't change dns servers.
    - The internet connectivity checker fails (can't reach the gateway server, even though I'm connected OK)
    - Takes ages to restart

Haven't tried the wireless yet though.

9. GreatOldOne

A GT it is then! :)

10. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

If you are quite a distance from your local exchange, and you are on ADSL MAX, something from Netgear will be a very good choice, as already mentioned, the DG834GT or DG834G (v4) will do well, also in the same boat myself (5.9km line length), and bought myself a DG834 (v3) which works well...
    ________
    Live sex webshows

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  11. GreatOldOne

Picked up a GT, connected it out of the box and without doing anything else (yet), I've gained another 250Kbps - So it's now sat at approx 3.75Mbs. :thumb:

Now to commence tweakage. ;)

12. GreatOldOne

Holy crap. Just updated to the DGTeam firmware, knocked the SNR down to 50%, and I'm now connected at a steady 4128Kbps. I am now, officially, a very happy bunny. :D

13. GreatOldOne

I'm now an ecstatic bunny! :D

Came home tonight and O2 had transferred my line onto their un-bundled kit at my exchange. My GT is now reporting:

Code:
    ADSL Link	        Downstream	Upstream
    Connection Speed	6491 kbps	1122 kbps
    Line Attenuation	51.0 db	        32.0 db
    Noise Margin	        3.3 db 	        6.0 db
    Yay! :clap:

14. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Hmm, quite far off my *lowly* 17.4mbps connection. However I seriously need a new router (still on the crappy speedtouch one from Be*), cuts off if everyone tries to use the Internet at the same time.

I'm deaf but a lot of hearing people say that my phone line is very noisy so perhaps an ADSLnation faceplate will help. Is the DG834GT worth the cost over the DG834G? I mean the only difference I can see is the wireless speed. Hopefully I can get a speed increase but really I just want the extra stability.

£44.99 at PCWorld, but thats the DG834GUK version, not sure if this version can be flashed to the DGTeam firmware?

15. plumber

plumber What's a Dremel?

long lie

Hi Guys, I'm a total newbie to bit-tech, just signed up so go gentle with me....

I'm also a long trek from my local exchange, about 5.4km. Currently using a BT Voyager 2100 router with the most up to date firmware (although thats a year old!), my question is do you think i can get a large increase in speed by swapping my router, i've tried using GMT to tweak it a bit but once i get below 8dB SNR i loose connection. My current performance is :-

Downstream 736kbps - Attenuation 53.5dB - SNRM 8.9dB -tx pwr 15.3 dBm
    Upstream 448kbps - Attenuation 31.5dB - SNRM 18.0dB - tx pwr 12.3 dBm

I've just ordered a ADSLnation face plate and also a 2-wire 2700HGV unlocked router (found it really cheap so thought i'd give it a try).

Any help would be welcome

16. plumber

plumber What's a Dremel?

Long line router

Update to last post:-

Well the 2700HGV arrived today, so plugged it in and whoosh up came the speed. Now running at 1856kbps down and 448kbps. It's not rocket fast but one hell of an improvement. Still waiting for the ADSLnation face plate to arrive to see if that makes any difference.

17. Krikkit

I had the same problem with our Speedtouch 585 from Be* too...

The DG834GT is definately worth it over the G, I tried a G, then bought a GT for the better chipset in it. Both will do the DGTeam iirc. Have a look on ebay for the GT, as they're pretty readily available and the Netgear support people are actually quite willing to swap them out without a reciept etc if you get a dodgy one. :)

18. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Well I got the G version, it doesn't seem to support the DGTeam firmware but to be honest I don't think I can squeeze much more out of it. Stats today are at 19.8mbps, only once I managed to get past 20mbps (20.1). The main reason for getting a new router was for stability (rock solid :)) although I'm happy with the speed increase which was also helped by the new ADSLNation faceplate.

19. Krikkit

I think I'll pick up the ADSLNation faceplate at some point tbh, might give us a better connection. :D

Tags: