1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia GTX 200 Series Avaliable now!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-23315, 16 Jun 2008.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Didn't £330 used to be the absolute highest end prices a few years ago?

2. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

I would love one of these :)

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

If you compare them to motherboards complexity-wise then yes, they shouldn't. The market however is pretty awful these days with ATI not doing anything and S3 just standing there,looking.

Bring back 3DFX !

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Not only do they cost that much, if you are unlucky they'll last two months until something twice as fast comes out. -.-

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Please tell me you are sarcastic. I a fed up of hearing this comment about computers evolving too fast and bla bla bla. 95% of the people who say that don't know shite about computers and they just repeat what they heard someplace else. When you buy a machine and it fits your needs (ie playing cards and typing in office), then why in hell wouldn't it still fit your needs in 2 years even though "ITS DOUBLES EVERY MONTH DUHHHH". This is just like all the clients I get who say Vista is a POS even though they have never even tried it

God I am sick of noobs ...

Of course maybe you were being sarcastic and I look like a frustrated best buy worker who hates his job ..... which I am :D

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd love a comparison to the current 9800GTX - just to see how much money I've saved/wasted :)

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Man I wonder how it compares with my Nvidia TNT2 I have in my closet. lol.
    However, it would be funny to have a chart comparing the new video card with such an old video card :D

8. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

What benchmark would you use? It would have to be something DX6 compatible for use with the TNT2!

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I was not serious.

10. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

11. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I may have been asking so I could find some way to attempt that :worried:

12. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

Initial impressions on the GTX 280, that £460 I spent on one card gives you two things:
    1. An edge over the 9800GX2. My housemate has a similar system to mine running a BFG 9800GX2 but his performance does fall down behind on more demanding areas in games.
    2. Noise. Good lord, it is noisy. Idle and the 9800GX2 gives a bit of wind noise, the GTX 280 gives a constrant droning noise and it isn't helped when I've tuned my system such that the case fans, CPU and PSU fan all run in near silent mode, all that effort is wasted :D

I could give a third point, brag rights, but people will simply point at you and laugh. With the 9800GX2 easily obtainable at £300, I think that is probably a better option. Those running on dual screens will probably prefer the GTX 280 over the 9800GX2 until nVidia sorts out the SLi vs dual screen issue but at present, the cost vs performance isn't worthwhile and those who prefer a quiet environment won't like the GTX 280.

13. Major

Major Guest

Considering the GTX 280 drivers arn't that good yet (or am I wrong), I'm sure over the next few weeks it should blow every card away.