1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Decent router for £50ish...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lamboman, 21 Jun 2008.

1. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    I am looking to buy a new router, and am willing to spend around £50. My old Belkin is rubbish (expensive, and disconnects frequently), so I am wanting something that actually works! ADSL2 is a must (though a common feature nowadays) as well as UPnP (again common). Although I could go and read reviews, I can barely ever find a decent site, and there are basically always mized opinions. I would like to know what YOU have experienced, as a user and owner.
    Thanks very much!

2. thebestnews

thebestnews What's a Dremel?

Hi, I work for a BT department called the Home IT advisor desk which is a home it support service. My colleagues who work on a BT business support desk accros the building and they allways recomend 2wire router as they are ROCK solid. I mean they wiegh as much as rock as well, the the software on them is as solid as well. Come businesses run hundreds of computer off them apparently. They can be bought of ebay quite cheap. If you're looking for a new router with warranty xoom router are highly reccomended as well. I have a Netgear router which seems to work ok, but it needs a reboot after using Utorrent :-(

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I say this a lot on these forums, but I'll keep going. DG834GT. With a custom firmware it's seriously, seriously good for very little moolah. :D

4. lamboman

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I will take a look into both. While I am here, I am just wondering, does anyone else have problems with the Asus Wifi Solo drivers on their motherboards? Asus' driver department are useless, they just rebrand the ones that are equally crap from Realtek. The damn thing keeps disconnecting from the router as well, and for some reason, if I hold the wifi adaptor, or lift it an inch, it suddenly gains a signal.

Anyway, please keep the suggestions coming in!

Last edited: 22 Jun 2008
  5. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

How about a linksys wrt54gl and dd-wrt ? Should do it no problem.

6. lamboman

Actually, that is something that I was considering doing. Seems like a good idea, because the thing is so damn customizable, and the option for 125 High Speed Mode is there if I need it (unlikely).

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i've got Netgear starter package for £50 and it's working superb. (DG834G)
    so i second Netgear routers.

8. Geimeris

Geimeris What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 22 Feb 2009
Tags: