1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nVidia video cards....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 22 Jun 2008.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hello,

I would like some confirmation on this..
    Now, I don't know about the Geforce 260 GTX, but I saw a picture of the 280 GTX power connector, and it requires to run not only a 6 pin PCI-E, but also a 8-pin?! Can anyone confirm this?

My PSU has both connector (2x 6-bit and 1x 8pin), but isn't new motherboards takes a 8pin instead of the 4pin?! So the day I upgrade my motherboard I'll have to choose between having a video card or a working motherboard. So if the Corsair HX 650W, a perfectly working PSU, needs to be changed with these huge ass 1000W just to have that dam connector... I also will probably have to change my case, as it won't even fit inside. So I have to change my perfectly working PSU and Case for a stupid ass power hug video card? Why don't they simply jump to a 24pin connector like the one of the motherboard, and use the point it needs and stop doing this... I mean I already changed my PSU for the Geforce 8800GT.
    Now I have no plan to upgrade... but this is just in future view, or in case my motherboard brakes or something... And to top things over the dam card heat up so much with a combination of cheap ass fans (40db!!! (apparently from review)).

Also where in the world do you people get the money to buy such things. These video cards are way overpriced, and encourages nVidia to continue to saturate the market, make video cards that requires more and more power and heats up way more.

2. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

im guessing that there is a molex converter availeble for molex to 8pin, just like there is for the 6pin connectors

3. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

You are correct, there is, im using one right now...

I think the OP's view is slightly crazed with anger, this really isnt a big problem. As with upgrading your PSU, well,y eh, when you buy a £300 upwards graphics card, you will generally need to upgrade other parts of your pc... It's a bit like putting performance tyres and fat exhaust on your Vauxhall Meriva People Carrier

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

You mean they need BOTH 6 pin and 8 pin?

My PSU have two SLI power connectors. They are standard 6 pin, but also have a small, removable 2 pin connector as well making them fit an 8 pin connector. Maybe it's just a compatibility thing? The card can run of both (One at a time)?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the 8 pin power connector for motherboards and GFX cards isn't the same. (Different pin layout)

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Totally different. PCI-E power connectors and EPS12V mobo connectors are not the same! :hehe:

Keep in mind these new gen cards require a lot more power than the last (looks like the GTX 280 pumps 236W, lol). They very well may require both types of connectors.

6. GoodBytes

Heh, good to know.

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

hmm my x1950 is using a hacked up motherboard power connector (the big 20pin one) as a home made molex to 6pin... and my psu is only 330W. It's amazing how massivly power consumption has gone up since I last upgraded.

8. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I dont know what kind of HX620w you've got but mine has two GFX power connectors that can be either 6 pin or 8 pin and also an esp12v mobo connector so I really cant see what youre getting all wound up about.

Moriquendi

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Could always just go with the cheaper, often faster, and 6 pin only 4850 :p

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

yeah as far as power goes the ati ones look like the better option.

11. GoodBytes

I probably have the older model.

12. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Err... the motherboard and the PCI-e cards don't both use the same 8-pin connector, right? Otherwise why would they bother labeling separate 8-pins for PCI-e use?

And another thing you mentioned, I'd bet it's 100% possible to get a computer at ~30dBA with a GTX280 installed, maybe less.. you just need to have good fans, good heatsinks, and well-laid-out airflow. Throwing more fans into your computer is far inferior to having a clean, well-done air path inside your case with a few quality fans. Watercooling would probably work too.

13. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

oh, don't worry. ATI is really on the ball this round. i wouldn't recommend the GTX200 series to anyone- the 4800's provide much better performance for the money or power, by far.

14. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

The 8-pin plugs for the CPU socket and supplementary PCI-E power are not compatible with one another.

@ Goodbytes:

Get in touch with Corsair mate and they'll send you some new cables, replete with 6-pin/8-pin GPU plugs. I did this and now I have enough cables & plugs (but not enough power :)) to run two GX2s off my little HX620W :thumb:

15. GoodBytes

@WhiskeyAlpha,
    Hey thanks a lot, I'll try that.