1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is your child a hacker?

Discussion in 'General' started by sheninat0r, 23 Jun 2008.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

rofl

2. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

Nice (re)find, that's made my morning.

What no black hat.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Pics of it being published, or it's a joke.

Either way, still funny though... So very close to real-life...

4. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

^^LMAO

Note that he says AOL is safe! what a crock. Didn't he also spell Linus Torvalds wrong. And linux was designed after the cold war, not to mention that removing it only requires a reformat, not physical destruction of the disk, or sending the computer back to the manufacturer.

This is kind of a dangerous article, I know plenty of technologically challenged parents who would believe it.

William

5. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I hate to dissapoint you, but it is quite obviously a massive pisstake.

Quite funny though :hehe:

6. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

perhaps it is aol/ms/intel propoganda??

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I roffled.

I could just imagine my parents believing half that **** though, which is quite depressing.

Also, side note, it looks partially like the basis for Die Hard 4's definition of hacker..

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

not bad. stereotypes are stereotypes.

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

actually this is no pisstake there is a video somewhere (prob youtube) of this article being read on the news (some us channel NBABC or somthing along those linies!) it ws really funny

10. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

I got it from here, but I don't know where it came from originally.

The site went up on July 4 2001, and was shut down September 11 2002; this is what they said about it:

11. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

theres a video on it, not a proper news report though...

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I don't know what's funnier, a satirical article about the stereotypes of 'hacking', or a bunch of self-described computing enthusiasts believing it!

The video posted above certainly is not a proper news report. The Screen Savers was a show on TechTV, not too different than Attack of the Show that now airs on the G4 network. It never appeared on NBC or ABC, or any other major network. In that particular episode, they were making fun of the article in question. It wasn't so much a news report as a "Hey, look what we found on the internet!"

Now, on to the original article. A 2 second google search brought up this article from that bastion of truth (;)), Wikipedia. Here is the first sentence:
    Is it a funny article? Yes. In reality, though, it's no different than a story from The Onion.

-monkey

13. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

heh my computer with its duel screens xmonad and strange bits of homemade hardware plugged in must be a hacker PC!

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

One of my friends kept getting me to install Linix... I always knew he wasn't right in the head...

It was all so obvious... he kept talking about Red Hat... that's what the communists wear! That theiving red commie ******* was trying to steal my internet so that he could use it for a twisted terrorist plot!

I'm glad I decided to stick with a reputable, patriotic company led by an honest, hardworking Average Joe... like Microsoft. Windows Vista not only has a cool clock across from all my icons, but it also helps me fight communism and terrorism!

15. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Way to ruin our fun :waah::waah:

You have to admit, it's still quite funny.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It's interesting how many people didn't pick up on the satirical nature. I suppose it is more subtle than the blatent "look how stupid people who think like this are!!" efforts we're used to now.

17. 123mccann

123mccann What's a Dremel?

The part about AMD was hilarious. Great find! :D

18. Binarywhore

Binarywhore Mrs Sleep

What I find really funny is that he considers it a bad thing his kid is a hacker. I mentioned to Dad I would love to do it. Not for malicious reasons...i'd just love to...invade people privacy :p He mentioned quote 'You do realise that it's highly HIGHLY illegal?' My uncle is a programmer himself and jumped in with 'Not if you're employed to do it' and told me to start studying C and C++ etc

It's not a bad thing unless he was ruining people's lives. It takes pure intelligence in my opinion and if this kid was young and was hacking successfully i'd cry with proudnesssss~!

Amazing how the parent knew so much about computers though when the rest of the article made out he was a 1920's parent :rock:

Last edited: 23 Jun 2008
  19. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Screen savers... best show ever... then it went to G4 and basically the whole channel sucks now. I wish those guys where still doing a show, they were awesome! That new one with that bearded guy sucks so bad...

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think there may be an issue of semantics involved, here: hacker!=cracker.