1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding New Bioshock Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ryan Cooper, 25 Jun 2008.

1. Ryan Cooper

Ryan Cooper It's been a long time.

I seen a couple really great bioshock mods around, even though the only mod is airbrushing the case (amazing skills!)
    none of them have actully changed the case structure.

Since most of the city has art deco architecture and fonts, i thought make a case designed off of that.

make a skyscraper out of acrylic , use that to house the parts, and have arcylic tube filled with water around it for that bioshock look.

does anybody have suggestions on buildings or how i should go about having it in water?
    :read:

2. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

isnt there a special type of oil you can submerge electrical components in because it's non conductive? can't remember what it's caleld though...

4. Xer0-

Xer0- Waste of space

5. JoHoschi

JoHoschi What's that?

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Get an acrylic fishtank. Cut out the back. Seal the top and seat the building/case to the hole in the back. Use the tank front for a reservoir for the water cooling loop. Keep the building back open for parts access and air cooling.
    You could also open the bottom in the building area.
    Any way you try this, it won't be cheap. Large diameter plexi tubes are expensive. A hexagonal fishtank is your cheapest option.
    Where do plan to put the optical drives and power switch?

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I'd go custom-built acrylic panels (in colours as you want), paint/sculpt detail on it (sculpting would be good here), and then integrate it into a water feature like some people have in their gardens/fish ponds/pools.
    Of course, you'd have to make VERY sure that your case doesn't leak, and that it won't start to...

Excessive? Maybe, but it's be cool... plus you could use the water feature for cooling... you know - one BIG reservoir... again, risky - i'd probably build some rendundancy there, so as to make sure i can run the PC wihtout the water feature... a fallback reservoir or something...

8. Ryan Cooper

i cant believe it!
    I havent had my dremel for two months and the motor burned out.
    Damn!

9. Cheapskate

The design sucks. the exaust is right where your hand goes.

10. Ryan Cooper

im pissed, but meh, i guess this stuff just happens so i bought a new one
    a 400 series

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I think it was Sciroco who swears by the flexible shaft extensions. Gets your hand away from the Dremel vents and also provides more precise control. Never tried it my self. :dremel:
    John the frugal.

12. Ryan Cooper

Where do you get the acrylic cases like the one in ORAC³

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I have a case from ClearPC, a bit pricier than the norm but the quality is top notch; good variety as well.

14. Cheapskate

Danger Den sell a few models. Xoxide have a good selection of other brands. None of them will work for what you want to do.

15. Ryan Cooper

OK, i've spent a LOT of time in bioshock and i couldnt get a complete look at the buildings but i realized that one of them looked like the crysler building so, im going to go off of that design:thumb:

i been looking around and i found these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some close ups of the top, the cap, or whatever its called-i think its the spire, but im not sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anybody has any experience with CAD designs i would be so happy if you could make a design of the 2 seperate sections (actual building- and the spire) cuz i have no idea how to use it,and i dont personally know anybody that does. so if there is anybody that does- thanks a bunch :D

16. Ryan Cooper

alright, does anybody know some places to by acrylic- because i only know of two
    delvies plastics, and US plactics

Last edited: 2 Jul 2008
  17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Me me me!

I hate using a Dremel unless it's with the Flexshaft.

18. Ryan Cooper

hmmm, it seems that the flex shaft is pretty popular- ill have to look into it.

19. Cheapskate

OK. Re- found your thread. Thanks for the lamp pic btw.:D I've been to the Chrysler building, and wanted to cruise the interior to see the beautiful insides. The people who took us insisted on going straight to the top to see the city. "ohh it's sooo high!" -dhuuur.
    ...to me it was the same as the top of the Empire State building, and the top of the WTC. F* the view, I had seen it! I wanted to see the building!
    The art styles you are looking for is 'Art Deco' and 'steampunk'. A lot of Victorian-era architecture fits the theme too. You could also look into getting some screenshots of the city from the game. (I'm not a console gamer. I don't know If it's possible.:p)
    Another idea would be to skip the building, and come up with a 'mechanical-art deco-ish artifact' You could house the comp in.

The best way to keep a dremel from burning up is to stop and let it cool when it feels like it's getting hot. I'm too cheap to buy a flexshaft, and I'm pretty sure Scirocco said she burned her dremel up BECAUSE of the extension. She didn't notice it was getting hot and killed it.

20. Ryan Cooper

found a bioshock logo- gonna try to make it out of acrylic.

[​IMG]