1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 45% of all traffic is P2P, say Sandvine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jun 2008.

1. jweller

jweller What's a Dremel?

Tiered Broadband Usage Pricing on it's way?

Stay tuned. Tiered broadband usage pricing will be here soon, Comcast, Time Warner, At&T and Verizon are "testing" it as we type. (See my links below)

The 1.5 - 3.0 mb DSL plan I pay for never goes but a smidgen above the 1.5 mb minimum (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest). I'd love to experience that theoretical 2-3 mb download speed I have purchased. I don't know if so called broadband "hogs" are the reason I don't get that speed.

Comcast, Time Warner : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/03/AR2008060303248.html
    AT&T : http://www.thestreet.com/story/10421256/1/att-mulls-surcharge-for-high-dsl-use.html

2. jweller

jweller What's a Dremel?

75% of all statistics are made up

75% of all statistics are made up. The other 25% of statistics come from a conspiracy of chimpanzee's in a secret room deep in the bowels of the pentagon.

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I only believe in statistics I faked myself...

anyway, everyone who has ever used p2p and looked at how hard it clogs down the connection even when its downloading at slow speeds knows how inefficient p2p is, It sends and receives far more data than you actually download.

one click hosters Cheesecake

4. rollo

rollo Modder

iwelller distance from exchange effects dsl speed to get anything 2mb + u need to be within 3mile of exchange.

5. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

The CRTC (Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission) seem to have found that it was all of a 2-5% inconvenience over a 2 month test for BELL CANADA. I have not studied the article, but at a glance, even that estimate appears to be putting forward a misleading picture for the general public.

http://www.rgbfilter.com/?p=67

It needs looking into by someone with more eyes and brains than me.

6. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Best Linux distribution = Ubuntu.

7. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

Aye, Hardies the best to date: I believe it's also responsible for 45% of congestion on the Internet! :jawdrop:

8. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Good grief, I've been using joost a lot over the past few months, that's P2P as well. Although I've no idea how popular it is.

I'm also seeding hardy as well.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. led_zeppelinzoso

led_zeppelinzoso What's a Dremel?

Extra Extra, we’re getting ripped off!

Atlantic Canada has horrible ISP choices and service. I’m paying through the nose for a 7 mb/s connection and it only clocks at 3, 5 at the most. I call to complain and they tell me its my computer, not them. BS it’s my computer… and now they slap on a 60gb download cap, so, no more folding, and I have to limit my torrents. AND the government has taken away our digital rights act. F this, I’m not going to pay 22.99 for a Metallica cd, I’m steeling that. And hey, when you make such crappy albums, you shouldn’t get any money.

Sorry, I’m tiered…

Tags: Add Tags