1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass MP3 Encoder

Discussion in 'Software' started by orb, 25 Jun 2008.

1. orb

orb satisfying.

I'm going on a 5 day trip next week and only have my 4gb mp3 player avaliable.

I'm looking for a mp3 encoder what will take files from a directory, encode them and place them in another directory keeping folder structure. I had one before but I've totally forgotten the name. I've tried dBpowerAMP but it does not keep folder structure, it says it does but I can't click the little box to make it do it.

Something what takes them down to 128/130 or so would be great, as it's going to be an outdoor trip by the lake quality is not a huge importance because I won't be able to notice the difference.

edit: wow dec 2003 join date, am i classed as old school now?

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Foobar?
    It has a built in convertor, and a rename/directory mover.

Edit: I remember you from a while back, have you not been around for a while?

3. orb

orb satisfying.

I've tried foobar but it just doesn't seem to be getting on very well, it wont put them in a new directory within a directory so to say, so I just get one folder of alot of MP3 files.

Yeah I've been moving around. I find the new forum harder to navigate then the old one :(

4. orb

orb satisfying.

Someone must know something surely :(

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've used DBPowerAmp (something like that) before and it works pretty well.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm pretty sure there is an better way, but...:

• Use foobars "convert>convert to same folder" option.
    • Once done,
    • Use windows to search within you music folder for the old (ie. not the newly converted files) files.
    • Delete them all (but not actually shift-delete them :waah:, just move them to the recycle bin)
    • Now make a copy of your music folder, which now will just contain the encoded files.
    • Then go to the recycle bin, and restore the source music file their original location.
    • Last of all, use windows search to delete the encoded tracks in your music folder.

Like I said, I'm sure there is an neater way (checkout http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php), but this works for me.

BTW: Pleeeeeeease don't delete all your music permanently by accident.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

iTunes will do it, actually. Just be sure to set the encoder preferences. Throw the files into iTunes, right-click and click 'convert to mp3' (it'll say convert to whatever the import encoding pref is set to) and you'll have a bunch of mp3s organized by the artist/album in the iTunes music directory. If that's not the folder structure you want... well, this is why I hate folder-based organizing on the player.