1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU power question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by JpBg, 25 Jun 2008.

1. JpBg

JpBg What's a Dremel?

I think ive heard that if your power supply is ,more powerful then what you need it still only draws the power it needs right? Becasue my dad has like a ancient computer with a socket 478 and ddr1 and its got a 230 watt psu. So if i put in my old antec 380 earthwatts will his computer actually use less power(since its more efficient 80%)?

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

the antec will be at least 80% efficient yes, but it won't be running at its most efficient (i think thats between 60 and 80% of max load is best for efficiency - which is why it used to amume me when people had massive psus for little systmes!).

If the pc were to draw 230W, the antec should at most be drawing 280W ish

the 80 plus cert is check at 20% 50% and 100% with a "true power factor of 0.9 or greater"

3. JpBg

JpBg What's a Dremel?

oh i see but overall will it be using less or more?

4. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

unless the old one was running at above 80%, then the antec should be more efficient. To earn that 80plus badge it had to be at leat 80% efficient at 20% (76W), 50% (190W) and 100% (380W).

Tho I may not call the PC ancient, Its not as if it were super socket 7!!! (or older :p)

In brief. Less.

5. JpBg

JpBg What's a Dremel?

oh ok i see thanks a lot and ya im pretty sure the other psu isn't even close in efficiency considering it was built like years ago

but thanks for the help sorry if my earlier post sounded a little rude.