1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

simple computer question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by makerofthings, 26 Jun 2008.

1. makerofthings

makerofthings What's a Dremel?

can i leave my computer on 24/7 and not worry about it explodeing its never over heated if that matters.

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

yeh, mostly, so long as you have a good cooling set up. personally i would think about the environment and turn off/hibernate when you can.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

When will be the day, when people will stop beveling that their computer is filled with TNT... it's filled with a Nuke! HAHA!
    That is correct, if you improperly click on an icon on your computer, or even change you background, especially leaving your computer on 24/7...B00M!

Ok seriously, if your computer has proper cooling you are good, and even (if you use your computer a lot) it is preferred to leave it on.
    Moreover, your computer comes (unless you have cheap ass parts) with an auto-shutdown or underclock (slow down) system to prevent any damage to your hardware. Now by cooling I do not mean that your computer must BE a fan. Your computer can be 100% fan less, passive design and no water cooling.. it's all about your hardware configuration, cooling and computer case engineering.

If your computer is good after several hours under heavy load, I think it should be safe to say that your computer can run 24/7.
    Also, a high-end PSU is recommended, as these are design not to over-heat and perform some self damage or auto-shut down on you. Moreover it will ensure that your computer components are safe from current irregularities (which happens about all the time). Ensure that you have a proper (above 50-60+$Can/US) powerbar, and that your wall plug is properly grounded.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

And of course, 'high end' PSU does NOT mean an über-1,6kW-monster-pos, but instead a quality brand, like Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&P etc...

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

great troll attempt.

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

nothing wrong with putting that in. a lot of people dont understand the difference between a psu that puts out a lot of power and one that puts out quality power. pointing that out in addition to what goodbytes wrote is a welcome addition if you ask me.

7. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

If you post your computer's specs we will be able to give a more detailed response on how well it will handle 24/7 use.

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

lmao!
    Troll attempt my arse.
    Anyone with any sense knows that cheap PSUs are cheap for a reason.
    They use crap parts and are rarely reliable.
    Combine that with 24 hour use and the results might not be pretty...

9. makerofthings

makerofthings What's a Dremel?

i have a pretty big fan above the cpu and i have the side of the case off and my room is well vented (its a very small room) and im constantly downloading things so i figure why wait longer just leave it on.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Also, even if your fans go TU, most CPUs and GPUs will shut down before they fry themselves. Usually. :worried: