1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you allowed in hand luggage this year?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mary Jo, 25 Jun 2008.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It'd take a significantly larger weapon to do that, due to the area covered by most airports.

With the plane, they're guaranteed a certain number, in the airport, they might not actually kill anyone (Which would be preferable for those of us not really wanting to be exploded). It's pretty grim logic - But it's undeniable.

That, and people around the world are more likely to react to a plane being exploded/crashed into something. Which would 'further their cause' or whatever the hell they do it for.

2. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

exactly we were on an AA flight to chicago last year and well we wanted wine, what did we get? a glass bottle!! has no one told them glass can be sharper than some pocket knives, it dosnt make sence basically they take everything off you with a point then when you on plane hand you glass and cuttlery

3. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

them plastic knives and forks can still be sharp

4. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

ahah dublin airport didnt check us hardly at all, mate has toothpaste in his bag and everything but on way home form stansted it was the usual mass searching!

5. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

100ml each item with max of one litre total

btw sorry for all the seperate posts i read again and see something else and forget about the edit button lol

6. liratheal

No doubt, but they're a hell of a lot more likely to break if you try and stab someone with them. I suppose you could cut them, but that might take a while for it to be fatal. By which time someone could have clobbered you with something significantly harder than the plastic utensil :B

7. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Interestingly, the increase in security theatre in airports has /increased/ the danger, not decreased it. There are still plenty of ways to down an aircraft, but the bottlenecks caused by the implementation of various expensive devices for 'detecting' terrorists mean that you're guaranteed to have a large number of people all crowded around the same area. Better yet, if you go pop /just/ before you get to the security checkpoint, not only do you take out everyone waiting to board but the security devices themselves - which means the airport either has to admit they're next to useless anyway or cancel all outbound flights until new hardware can be installed.

Note to government: you can tell I'm not a terrorist, because I'm not brown.

9. Major

Major Guest

True, but the chances of getting on a plane nowadays is next to none, and I'm sure a few huge nail bombs carried by 10 terrorist would do some damage.

10. liratheal

Well, considering standard rounds would go through an aircraft shell (It is, after all, only aluminium), bringing the aircraft down is never REALLY going to be the issue. As for the airport admitting they're next to useless - I don't see that happening. Especially considering the government are going to have been a very big driving force behind the whole thing, we all know how infrequently they admit fault.

I do see what you're getting at, though.

I think the fear factor is also an issue. I mean, a lot of coffee shops/shops in general have been blown up in recent years, but it doesn't stop people going to them. However, I would wager that a large number of people are putting off flying due to fear of terrorism. Causing a company to go out of business because of lack of passengers due to terrorism fear is going to be massively publicised, and is again likely to 'further the cause' so to speak.

I roffled.

Very true. I don't have a counter argument for that one >.>

Last edited: 26 Jun 2008
  11. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

clone this guy

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1102/715069678_5d339ab726.jpg

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Jesus Christ prankster - there is an edit button you know! :p 4 posts in as many minutes...

The problem with flying is that it's so easy to do a lot of damage to the plane if you are in that kind of mindset, without security there'd be a massive amount of terrorism imho. Now the current measures of banning all sharp objects and fluids is stupid, but I can see where they're coming from.

13. liratheal

14. DeadTeddy

DeadTeddy What's a Dremel?

The safety measures are there not as much to prevent the plain being blown out of the sky, but to prevent it from being hijacked. A plane is carries hundreds of people, gift-rapped in a fragile, highly mobile, and completely isolated tin can.

ask anyone what's harder to deal with, a body or a hostage. the sad cold truth is a hostage is a much bigger head ache.

15. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Can u take laptops as hand luggage?
    I was hoping too as i dont really want it stolen.

16. Major

Major Guest

Yes you can.