1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own Router

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2008/06/27/build-your-own-router/1

It seems like lots of people have been picking up Linux love since our Build Your Own Server article. So this time, Ken's back to bring it one step further - making your own home network router. Buckle up and get ready to dive into the world of iptables!

:thumb:

2. fisken

fisken What's a Dremel?

Nice one , but in the next , why not set it up for multiply external ip's, since more people have more than 1 ip.

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I wish I could understand this.. I really do.

4. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

+1

Yeah great article, never knew one could make one's own router! It's a shame about 99.9% of that stuff goes way over my head lol.

5. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Great Guide

I use this stuff a good deal, since I work with a large set of linux servers and don't want to have to shell out massive amounts of cash for nortel or cisco hardware.

there are a few more hurdles to use fibrechannel with this method, mostly getting it to like the transmission format the fibrechannel cards use.

here's a suggestion for bit. get ken on your staff, pay him and feed him pizza for more of this stuff faster. :thumb:

the other thing that strikes me is how very well sectionalized and organized the whole article is, makes for very easy reference.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

damm i actually tried to get something similar working this morning (used brctl as i only needed a bridge) but it wasnt compatible with ppp0 (at mums, and its a geographic limitation). Starts thinking about ditching the flats router (crappy dlink thing)

7. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Interesting! More-so in the configuration than anything. I shall have a read later, but I thought I'd mention that I also decided to build my own router recently.

The thing's built, and I'm saving time by using m0n0wall, but I've not fully updated the article yet - still, someone may find it useful/interesting. :)

From the m0n0wall guidelines, however, I estimated that I should be able to gain about 280Mbits in both directions. That's not bad for the future. :naughty:

8. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

fantastic article! i really enjoy reading them, it gives me an excuse to tinker with a few spare linux machines, this one is going to require some carefull reading though, i think i got about 10% on the first read through :D

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Yeah, I assumed that the router itself (so far as what it consists of) was very much nothing to do with a PC...

But when I think about it.. I suppose it makes perfect sense that a PC/Server/whatever can route...

10. tuaamin13

tuaamin13 What's a Dremel?

What's the point of this? I can understand the concept but not the application. Are you supposed to add it to your existing machine/repurpose an old machine or build a new mini-ITX machine (one of those with multiple ports) instead of buying a new router?

11. Timmy_the_tortoise

It's repurposing and old machine or building a new one from old parts.. Can you read, or not?

12. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

Great guide!
    Love it...
    I'm going to read everything after...

homebuild router + diy homeserver... = mod! =D

13. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Heya,

Great guide! Just a quick note... if you prefer to NOT work with IP Tables but you still want the power and flexibility of IP Tables then I suggest downloading APF Firewall for Linux. APF is a front-end for IP Tables (hence, it's still IP Tables) but provides an easy to use shell based configuration file to setup your firewall. Additionally, APF includes brute-force and DoS protection which can be enabled/disabled in the config file. Of course, this is free software. I've used it for many years and it makes handling IP Tables far easier.

Cheers :)

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hey Jasio,

Yeah, there are some great options. Most of my sysadmin friends swear by Shorewall themselves, which is the same type of thing. For here, though, we were going for stripping away the training wheels and showing you what REALLY goes on under the hood. The more you know, the more secure your system will be and the better you can diagnose when something DOESN'T work right. :)

15. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

For those wanting to set a PC up as a router, but don't want to go through the hassle of doing everything yourself, there are a number of really good options out there. m0n0wall (http://m0n0.ch/wall/) and pfsense (http://www.pfsense.com/) are good alternatives. m0n0wall is super-super lightweight and does the job really well, at least it does for me :)

16. HowY

HowY What's a Dremel?

Excellent Series

Just had to offer a "Great job" :thumb:
    on this series of articles and a straight
    up job with ipchains...

Cant wait for the whole series

Excellent Work!

--keep 'Em Coming

17. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yep, +1 here for the 'good job' sentiments.
    I'm loving the linux stuff on Bit now and I'm thinking there should be a seperate section entirely for Linux tbh.
    Isn't Linux and it's flexibility/modifiability (is that even a word? :D) like the software equivalent of building your own PC and tweaking/OCing it?

Anyway, keep 'em coming!! :)

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

100% Agree with airchie!

19. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I'll add my hardware recommendation.
    pcengines ALIX2c3 board, i'm loving mine got it to run m0n0wall. eats a whoopee 18watts at most.

20. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

hmmm decisions, to go with a embedded system or tack it on to the fileserver, seperate would probably be more secure, if you dont mind answering how much did you pay woodshop, that one looks awesome, wonder if there is one with integrated wireless. would it be difficult to have two internal interfaces (Ethernet and wireless)

Tags: Add Tags