1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP !!!! got cheap lapy but wont work

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by jay, 29 Jun 2008.

1. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

Hi all it's been a while,
    Hears my problem, I bought a lap top cheep as in need of repair and found that there is no OS installed I have tryed to sort this but it just wont happen and I can not access the bios to change any settings as there is a password in the way it is a HP omnibook 6100 and I get a hash code 01509 when trying to access the bios what do I do to sort this:wallbash:
    I have contacted HP and they say that they do not have this hash code number on record and that they can not help with out me shipping te lapy to them as I got a right bargin to use as a spare (or so I thought) I do not want to spend any more than I have to as I know neather would any of you​

Last edited: 29 Jun 2008
  2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

if there is a password in the bios you shoud be able to take it apart and reset the bios by shorting the jumper. see if you can find a manual online to tell you how to take it apart and do that. if you cant find anything someone here should be able to help if you list the model of the laptop.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2008
  3. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

HP omnibook 6100 ???

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I assume laptops have batteries for saving the CMOS info in the same way as desktops?

If so, crack the laptop open and remove the battery for a while and that should, in theory, reset the BIOS.
    Otherwise, you might get lucky and find that laptop has a default option that unlocks it, kinda like a backdoor.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The batteries are normally soldered to the board, they may be almost impossible to remove

6. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

I don't know if it's possible, but common sense (but is there such a thing in IT? :)) dictates that, if you know the motherboard/BIOS version, you should be able to flash/reset the BIOS and kill the password?

This webpage might also be a good read. Standard disclaimers (not my fault, use caution, google some more, don't trust me, etc) apply.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

8. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

Thanks Khensu this sorted me out :thumb: