1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diablo 3 looks too...camp?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 1 Jul 2008.

?

Does Diablo 3 look to camp and colourful, like Tellytubby land?

1. Aye! Diablo 3 needs to be concocted with pure evil!

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Nay! I likes the brighter colours and besides, the first game scared me!

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Actually, it's fine as it is.

33 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No kidding. Quit your whining people, you've seen a couple of images from a couple of areas in what will be a huge game. There was plenty of color in D2 also (at least if you used maphack so the entire screen wasn't totally blacked out), and it worked great for the environments in which it was present.

2. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

nope, That's about as important to me as Canadian history books (no hard feelings, eh?)

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i can see that i'm actually in a minority here aren't i?

i don't mean lets revert to the old days, more like, i like 3-D, i like that it will use new technology. i don't like that in a dungeon we've got bright spangly colours. i mean, go into a cave and how many colours can you pick out apart from black, grey, brown, mud brown, dust brown, brown ochre. i know that people complain that games use too much brown...but isn't that what the game is; a lot of darkness and lifelessness? even in a forest we've pretty much got those colours plus a little greenery from grass patches and the leaves. in most gothic churches we've got little colour, and what colour there is might only come from stained glass windows.

4. superpooper

superpooper What's a Dremel?

It looks fine.

Too much realism puts me RIGHT off.

5. Zytek_Fan

Zytek_Fan The tortoise

The colours are fine after watching the trailers again.
    I don't want to sit there and look at nothing but dull grey and green for hours like I did with Diablo 2. Sure, it may not be the same as previous games, but what matters is the legacy of Diablo. If it still has all the things you'd expect from a Diablo game, then why complain about something little?

I like the incorporation of new technologies in the game so far. It enhances the game experience. More colourful environments are for them to look more realistic and natural. There are plenty more things that make the colours not matter. Destructable environments. How many times could we have used that in Diablo 2? :D What about the new classes?

What about the fact the actually are making a new Diablo game?! ;)

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

More colourful environments then D2? Has everyone skipped act5 in the LoD expansion pack? There are some hefty areas out there... Thinking of the temple of the ancients and the likes...

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

wikipedia:

The reception to the initial announcement and gameplay footage was overwhelming positive, nonetheless some found reason to complain[11] calling for a darker, more realistic look.[12] Additional complaints included the game's apparent resemblance to the World of Warcraft series, "colorful and cartoon-like" visuals and "out-of-proportion" character figures and armor.

Lead producer Keith Lee has stated:

"One of the things that we considered when we were working on the visuals for ‘Diablo III’ is the fact that color is your friend. We feel that color actually helps to create a lot of highlights in the game so that there is contrast. A great analogy is like in ‘Lord of the Rings’ — not everything is dark. It allows you to see what a creepy dungeon can be like but if everything is dark it doesn’t allow you to have a lot of contrast."[13]

Art director Brian Morrisroe said at Blizzard's Worldwide Invitation "Our memory of what Diablo and Diablo 2 were was a bit different than the actuality of it. Visually we were remembering it as more of a dark, colorless game, but there was a lot of vibrance." He also explained that they wanted characters to have a strong silhouette, so that the characters where easily seen even when there was a lot of action.[14]

8. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Seriously, why arent you interested in this game? Gamefaqs has its predecessor listed as its number one game for the pc... approx 8 years after its been released! D2 rules, and im sure D3 will, blizzard can do no wrong :)

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Looks like they went the Dungeon Siege (anybody remember that game?) way of visual motif. But don't let the crisp teaser screenshots mislead you.

Keep your eyes open. The colours and surfaces are noticeably mute for a reason; it's building up a contrast to something further down the road.

10. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Colours made Mario Galaxy much more fun than Gears of War.

Diablo 3 looks fine right now.

11. Toka

Toka Minimodder

I want to fight a raindow monster in a gold plated hall with my Purple Sword of Doom and Sparkly Blue Shield of Wideness, astride a pink unicorn with my companions Orange McOrange the fiery sorceror and Izabella Green Fingers, my trusty bikini clad nature mage

12. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I can't work out what screenshots people are looking at to say that the game is too colourful. It looks roughly as colourful as D2 to me but it does use more and higher resolution textures.

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Anyone got any screens to prove? I haven't looked too hard but I've only found a couple and it looks alright.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I think its blizzards game and what they do is best :)

They dont knock out bestseller after bestseller by not doing it their way :)

16. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

I don't have any issue with is using too much color, but it seems to me that the color palette and art direction are more derived from WOW and Warcraft, then Diablo.

The two things that kind of peeve me is the blue/green tint in dungeons and the fact the outdoors has an oil-based painting look. I will absolutely buy this game either way, but I can see some things that would benefit from a little tweaking. Something in between the Photoshopped images on the petition and the game we saw in the video.

17. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

18. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Shitting all over my computay!

19. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

like i said before...a cave is brown. so therefore....it should be brown?

20. mushky

mushky gimme snails

And where would you put the monsters and fairies and spells in this realistic world you want them to paint?