1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI Wind U100

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 4 Jul 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/04/msi-wind-u100/1

MSI releases Wind and we take a sniff to see if this sub-notebook can possibly stand up to Asus' EeePC line? With svelte pearly curves and a decent sized keyboard, MSI may have just parted it's cheeks and unleashed the first real Eee-Killer...

;)

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

An article at 10 past midnight UK time?

WOWZERZ!

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

Author: bit-tech Staff
    someone been at the old deed poll after drinks again?

I'd be all over the wind if it shipped as standard with the 6 cell battery, the extra inch on the screen and the keyboard make it that much more usuable than the eee (that and its out).

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If I was in the market for a portable for typing up lecture notes on, that'd be the one I'd plump for - I'd have to grab the 6-cell though!

5. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

It seems a sweet little piece of kit. As a student I find that small laptops like this are fantastic to use when everyone else is resorting to pen and paper. No matter what the result, its always good to see more competition in the market, the more competition, the more development, and usually the cheaper they come. Well done, and jeez, you Bit-Tech staff just don't sleep do ya lol

6. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Does the MSI Wind have a perfectly formed indent of your foot inside it Joe? Or an I mixing reality with analogy too much?

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

if i was after a new laptop id probably go for a wind, kinda wish i was (and that it came with a ssd)

8. Kysi

Kysi What's a Dremel?

"but most importantly - they simply take more energy to work, sucking your battery dry much quicker."

on tomshardware they did some looking in to this matter and concluded that although ssd's have lower idle power, because they only have idle and full load, they often times end up consuming more power than your standard hard drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-hdd-battery,1955.html

9. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Love the fact that on the first page of the article there is a misco advert for the EEE :p

10. Xir

Xir Modder

...been on sale in Germany (rebranded as medion) since yesterday...appearently already sold out ;-)
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1763206#post1763206

They announced it with the 6 cell battery but delivered the 3 cell battery. Battery prices seem to have gone up.

Boot up in 40 seconds...to login or to application?
    How fast is the SSD driven EEE901 till first application?

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

To get to desktop is about 40 seconds. With the 901 running in easy mode (which it runs by default) it's around 10 - 20 seconds.

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

To late, I already broke and ordered an Acer Aspire One, mainly because despite the price being raised to £220 everywhere else, play.com are still advertising it for £200 :)

13. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Decided against the 901, mainly because of the keyboard, and ordered an Advent which should be here on Monday. Guess I'll spend the saving over the Wind on a bigger battery when they become available.

14. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

shouldn't that be Ulead?
    anyway, its good to see more cheap sub notebooks. what I would prefer though is one of these with a low power graphics card built in to do some light gaming on the go with an nvidia style hybrid power (I think thats the name) type setting to switch between an ultra low power integrated graphics and discreet graphics solution. I wouldn't mind a little FEAR on the go (though it would be funny to be stuck in a meeting playing FEAR then hit an encounter with alma, yell out 'F<>K!' and click frantically on the mouse, scaring everyone else in the process)

15. Spode

Spode What's a Spode?

"suspect terminal prompts in awful linux distros"

You what? Since when did the beautifully simple EeePC OS need fiddling at the terminal?

I must admit, I quite like the look of it - might pop into PC World to see how it feels. However, I do feel most of these EeePC Competitors go a little against the whole point of the EeePC in the first place. It was never meant to be a fully fledged notebook.

Might be intersting to whip out the hard drive and pop an 8GB CF card in their instead and see how that affects battery life.

16. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

Suspect terminal prompts?

I admit, the Linux distro's ive seen so far on these subnotebooks are fairly bad for what i want to do (I have Ubuntu on my Eee701), but loads of "less technical" users never seem to have a problem and never need to know the terminal is even there.

Will the Linux version be reviewed when you manage to get hold of it? It would be nice to know how the software stacks up against ASUS's solution.

I like how i wasnt the only one to pick up on that, I read through the comments to see if someone had pointed it out already and was a little dissapointed. :)

17. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I wonder how Windows XP is a hardware spec ;) (page 2)

And I do wonder what Distro is coupled with the Linux version (I didn't read the article in depth, so I might have missed it). Just out of interest tough, never had any luck with anything from MSI, so I tend to avoid it.

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> Since when did the beautifully simple EeePC OS need fiddling at the terminal?

Any time you want to play back media formats that have licencing issues, for a start.

Anyway, it wouldn't be Linux if you didn't have to spend spend an hour typing in random alphanumeric gibberish for every ten minutes you actually used the thing.

(Asbestos suit going on...)

19. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Aye.. All that terminal crap REALLY put me off Ubuntu... That and it made me feel claustrophobic.. for some reason.

20. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

When eee pc was launched - thought good idea wan 1. Then saw it had an 800 * 480 screen res ( same as me n800). Lost interest. heard about new 900/901, wind, Acer aspire 1 all 1024*600 (not great but just livewithable)

Nearly bought a 900 2nd - but decided to wait a little longer then sawa toshiba portege r500 @ J lewis and I was in love - but it was unrequited @ £1200!

Went to Ebay and discovered the R100, only 1ghz P-m ULV - but for less than Any netbook I have A 1kg 1024* 768 (and changed mind on 1024*600 being livewithable), 1gb ddr, 3/7+ hour (ext battery dds 300+ gms) brilliant & fast pseudo netbook with docking station . Of course only 3 days warranty left - sad that I miss asus/Acers legendary warranty service (not :)..

Netbooks are getting good - but unless screens improve a lot - if my r100 dies then i'll get an r500 on never-never rather than a netbook.

After all dell do 15.4" 1920*1200 screens so 10" higher res should be doable :(

Tags: Add Tags