1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LCDs cause greenhouse gas worries

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jul 2008.

1. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

cows release mathane gas which cases the same effects as co2
    anyway lcd is so much more efficient than old cathode tube monitors that im sure they cause alot less greenhouse gases (production of LCD screens cuases greenhouse gases but the saving in energy offsets this)

2. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

the problem is this wastefull way of living has been accumalating and were are only starting to see the effects now(climate change takes decades). dirty air etc is reversable as you pointed out urself- cleaner fuels filters etc, climate clange is way way harder to reverse

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I suppose it could be formed by waves lapping upon frozen bits then part of them becomes frozen as it pulls back, rinse repeat you'd have an effect that looks like it has been frozen on the spot.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I saved the planet by buying a plasma telly

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

6. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Im with you!:D

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Im killing the planet with my LCD telly :) Do I care? No, because I got HDTV and loving it :)

8. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Winter, 1863?

You speak as if you're granpa was alive to witness it... Is he the OLDEST MAN ALIVE?!?!?!

I'm sick of this "Green" crap.. It's hyped up by marketing arseholes saying "look at us, aren't we great? Saving YOUR planet for you."... It's an overblown situation. We have quite a few more pressing issues to worry about, such as why it's 2008 and there are still 3-4 Billion people without sufficient means to live.

I REALLY hate greenpeace...

9. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

According to some theories (Global Dimming), all our filtering, cleaning, catalysts and exhaust particulates (is that even a word?) control is actually accelerating global warming. It seems that all that soot being flung into the atmosphere was reflecting a significant amount of sunlight back into space, slowing down global warming. Anyway, it seems to be a lose-lose scenario.

So, should I replace my dying CRT and poison the soil and water with all sorts of evil heavy metals and chemicals, since we don't have proper hazardous waste disposal in Brazil? Or buy an LCD and poison the skies?

Better yet, let's have it the green way. Let's all go back to nature, live in houses made of bamboo and thatched hatch, cook using only sun-powered stoves (I'm sorry all you English and Scottish folk, you'll have to find a way of living without your hot tea!). We must turn back from decadent things such as running water and sewers. Who wouldn't love to go out on a chilly winter morning to take a pee under a lemon tree?

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

ME.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

12. Orlix

Orlix What's a Dremel?

The only problem is that there have been climate swings for millenia as seen in fossils. Are we in one of those or are we forcing one? Nobody knows.

I agree with you on the wastefull ways. I remember when I lived in USA that i took out more trash bags after food shopping than what I brought in. It still hppens in Germany where I live now, but is not as bad. We need to be concious of our use the problem is with so many sudies pointing that everything is bad, I guess the only solution is that 60% of the population dies... hmm.. no the bodies would decompose and affect the ozone again... (/off sarcastic and morbid comment)

13. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

If we keep it up there will be close to 7 billion people without sufficient means to live. I'm sure some of it is overhyped but with this many people on this planet we are making an impact on it, there's just no question about it. Whether it's sooner or later, we prolly will be the end of this planet unless people take responsibility for their actions, though I'm sure no one will.

14. Htr-Labs

Htr-Labs What's a Dremel?

Chemistry 101

-

Last edited: 19 Dec 2016
  15. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

But my LCD is done being manufactured so it is no longer using said chemical with hard to pronounce name..... How would turning it off help this situation? I turned it down to 50% brightness as my eyes couldn't handle it and I wanted to be environmentally conscious. So I figure Im doing my part to save the penguins :thumb:

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

turn it off as in turning it off on the button, not on the remote, and also not leaving it on when there is no one using it.

all that stuff reflects radiation back into space, like it would happen in a nuclear winter or in a big ass volcano eruption, these days we don't emit stuff that reflects radiation (the last thing they banned caused acid rain) and emit stuff that captures the heat.

if there is effective sequestration and/or isolation technology then there is no problem with this gas.

one last thought: if the worse of global climate change (AKA global warming) happens then the fact that 3-4 Billion people are without sufficient means to live will be moot.

to give those 3-4 Billion people a means to live would involve forcing "people" (or in this case, parasites) to not steal from the community pie, from the mid classes and the low classes, it would be also necessary a joint push from everyone to avoid war and use that money to help people get on their feet and make humanity live in peace.

i am not pro Greenpeace, i hate them for what they are now, they have become radical and useless, i do believe in scientists and in panels of scientists when they say something is wrong.

17. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

So the worlds going to hell, at least we'll all be watching it in HD.

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i think its all a bunch of garbage and i really dont care, but I dont want warmer summers at all. it gets wayyyy too hot hear. there are days were its 40+ C. too hot.

19. ironjohn

ironjohn What's a Dremel?

Oh my GOD!
    I just opened a beer!
    What are all those bubbles?!

I'm killing the Earth! Ah, ah....ah....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Save the planet - drink hard liquor o/

Tags: Add Tags