1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SSDs may increase battery life

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The Laptop Magazine seems to be a more "real world" test than the synthetic benchmarks that TH used and since for me real world performance is much more important in a laptop than its headline speed i'd be inclined to be more interested in the LM results.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

While I found it interesting, the whole Tom's article seemed a little confrontational to me.

What both articles do show (albeit to different extents) is that SSDs aren't the panacea for low-power computing that everyone thought they would be - yet. After all, we're still in the first generation of devices, I'm sure there are huge advances still to be made, including introduction of a low-power idle mode.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Tom's Hardware reviews don't hold much water for me. There was a time they were scoffed at in the past due to their reviewing methods and I'm afraid it's left a bad stain not even CILLIT BANG(!!1shout) can remove.

5. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Tom's has declined quite a bit.

In any case, their results contradict common sense. Besides, SSDs are still too expensive for most people, and for me personally the laptop is not exactly the first place I spend the money. The complete lack of noise, the ostentatiously low heat generation and high access speeds and transfer rates makes me more inclined to buy one for my desktop once they get low enough.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm sure Anandtech did a similar HDD/SSD head-to-head test, and came to the conclusion that in some scenarios SSDs improve battery life, and in others reduces battery life.

So it's pretty much 'pays your penny and has your pick' at the minute which 'truth' you want to believe.

7. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

I just don't see the point in even beginning this evaluation and generalising it against a technology. It's the like the people who dismissed LCD monitors wholesale 10 years ago because the refresh rate wasn't up to CRT standards.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's not what interested me about SSDs really, I'm more interested in the performance side.

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

same, but i wouldnt complain about more battery life when on the go

10. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

I remember reading that article on Tom's Hardware and thinking "SSD's consume MORE power, WTF!" Thanks for clearing that up a bit. :thumb:

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

the Update Rate of LCD (20-40ms) was not very good at all untill recently (not talking about the refresh rate here), i still prefer my CRT over my 22in wide LCD monitor as i get not as much tearing on the screen, useing v sync is not realy an option as it adds an delay when paying games whats anoying

even if SSD uses more power the performace thay offer out way that loss even if there is any, TG reviews seem not so trust worthy any more dispoingt realy, do seem to do good ones but seem to not think some of the reviews tho
    sola pannels been one of them that would of been better if thay use 1 more pannel + bigger bat

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Some people also argue about whether spell checkers are effective or not, but sometimes we get some "real life" tests that supports the general consensus that they in most cases do work.

:p

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Added to the fact that it is a lot harder to kill an SSD by dropping it. That reliability is very important to me too.

:D

14. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

TBH ive never dropped a harddrive

Tags: Add Tags