1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: "Wii is novelty console"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Major

Major Guest

He hasn't played Super Smash BB then, idiot.

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Gotta agree...

The only Wii game I really spent a lot of time with and actually had fun playing alone was The Godfather: Blackhand Edition. Good game.

4. koola

koola Minimodder

I have to agree with the guy, it's fun for parties and that's it.

5. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I agree. I have not really seen very many real non-party games for the wii that are any good.

I also am wondering if nintendo is going to continue the wii style control scheme for the next console. if they continue with that, it will get old, but if they change back to a gamepad, that would be kind of boring for them...

6. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

he's right - and i have played smash bros and it's pretty damn rubbish. Haven't bought a game since the overrated SM Galaxy and haven't turned my wii on in months - tbh wish I'd sold it last Christmas when everybody wanted one.

7. Timmy_the_tortoise

I'm interested in when the next Gameboy is coming...

Remember Nintendo saying that the DS WOULDN'T replace the GBA.. and that it was a 3rd pillar?

I don't think Nintendo remembers.

8. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

This is not news, this is propaganda. He's trying to explain away the failings of his company against Nintendo so that people who own a 360 will feel comfortable acting superior and refusing to buy a Wii.

Yeah, the Wii appeals to a different audience than the 360. A larger one. And why? Because it's good for parties.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ditto. Had one for months... played Zelda most of the way through though tbh I got bored with it towards the end and never ended up finishing. Brought it out at school a couple times for some team events, and that was the extent of its use. It's long-since been sold, though I wish I'd sold it for more. Oh well, I don't miss it.

I'm not so sure I'd call it a novelty, but it really doesn't lend itself well to more traditional gaming. Which is fine, so long as you know that going in.

10. reaper1984

reaper1984 What's a Dremel?

The whole article could be paraprased to "nah nah, our console's better than yours, buy ours."

I'm still playing the Wii, just bought Tiger Woods 2008 and I'm very impressed. Much more involved and a much bigger challenge than the Wii Sports golf (as you would expect). I would never buy a golf game on a regular console, what's the point of pressing buttons to mimic something so active?

What I don't understand is why Nintendo is standing still on so many games that traditionally would not sell well, but with the different and intuitive controller can work.

Things like - Wii cricket - the mind boggles at the possibilities of this, yet there's still no sign of a game from EA...

A port of the Rocky game from the Xbox 360, but with the Wii controls, come on Nintendo! It would be awesome.

More dedicated sports games, there are too many to mention, but this is the way to go.. get on with it!

11. salesman

salesman Minimodder

RE4 on the wii is all i play and it is very fun.

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

When was the last time you played a Golf Game?

EA have been using analogue control in Tiger Woods games since TW2002 on the PS2... and It works better than the Wiimote's overly sensitive controls.

13. Major

Major Guest

lol

14. Timmy_the_tortoise

True.. That is a good game, but there's not enough new to make me play through again.. Since I already finished it on the 'Cube.

15. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Gotta love the use of graduate there...it's as if your intelligence will be 'brought back to normal' or something after you're done playing it and decide to go and purchase a 360.....amazing PR right there my friends...

16. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

Sounds like people in the industry are still trying to cut down the Wii since it's been selling like hot cakes since it's release.

I now own 10 games for the Wii, the most I ever owned for any console I had (I had almost all of them up to the PS2).

The sports games are nice for the fact that it uses the motion thingie, but when games like TW2008, which is excellent, come out, it makes even more sense to have this type of console.

I can enjoy GH3, Manhunt 2, RE4, etc. exactly as with the other boxes, although I still can't have any DLC, but that will all change with GH:WT.

Mario Kart Is another Gem IMHO, been grinding time away on that game since it came out.

So I say to each is own, and I think that Nintendo as reached a lot of casual players that would never have gone back to consoles game if it weren't for the Wii (myself included).

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Yep, or with roommates, but eh.. I sold mine and got a 360.. Happy with that now, even when playing by myself

18. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's a novelty console that whips the XBox 360's butt in sales figures. :D

20. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

+1

Tags: Add Tags