1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opening PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nicolee, 8 Jul 2008.

1. Nicolee

Nicolee Kastom Youzer Title

Hello i am thinking of modding my Philips DVD player and put my system into it .The biggest problem except space is the PSU that is HUGE! I opened it and i saw that everything is connected to a " card " or something like that if i take tha card and the cables which are REALLY small and just put them in the floor of the DVD player will there be a problem?(the case of the PSU is HUGE so what if i remove it and keep whats inside) If yes can i buy something or do something to prevent any ..unexpected and maybe deadly problems ?

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

No, don't do that.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Try buying a really thin PSU instead. I wouldn't advise stretching an ATX PSU out to fit - they need decent airflow for a start.

4. Nicolee

Do you have any idea where to find thin PSU ? not more than 500 watt

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Yea small media centre type cases usually have them.

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Or a rack mount PSU.

7. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Or shuttle PSUs are small...

RwD

8. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

So correct me if I am wrong, it sounds like you are advising against using a power supply without the coverings, just the parts? I don't see why that would be a big problem if good airflow was provided...

9. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Because you don't want any 230V shocks in yourself or the components...

Also it voids the warranty.

10. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

How would the 230V shocks hit the components without the case? Would they jump? Cause if they travel on the cables, they would do the same with the case on...

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

They don't need to jump. People put their fingers in and touch the live bits. I guess you just don't understand "Safety". It's not designed to safeguard someone who knows the set-up, it's designed to safeguard a stranger to the equipment - who could be your wife or child.

12. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Nobody touches my computer but me. If they do, the computer is off and the psu is unplugged.

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Then feel free to kill yourself. ;) But don't recommend how you carry on as safe for others.

14. Nicolee

Is there any material that can protect the PSU and me from death? like a tyre or something like that ?

15. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Was already posted, but buy yourself a shuttle PSU - they are tiny and good. (and quiet too.)

One of the reasons for that BIG metal box around the transformers, regulators, and caps (and heatsinks) is that they put out a LOT of heat. If you didn't have them in a big metal box with lots of air flowing through it, it could easily melt a hole through your dvd player and burn the table underneath. That burning and melting also starts to melt insulation on the wires attached to it. what happens next is ugly... (I've seen what happens to a power supply after the fan dies. My dad's computer kept getting "louder and louder - it was really annoying" But then one day the problem just "fixed itself" - he loved how quiet it was. Then, smoke and popping noises started to come out of the back of the computer.... I told my dad that he should have called me when the noise started... but anyway...)

The other reason for the big metal box is safety as was already mentioned. There's a lot of power running through those things and the capacitors can maintain a charge even after the machine is powered off and unplugged.

in conclusion - buy a shuttle power supply....

16. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

If you mounted it on rubber and made sure that no stray wires or fingers can get near it, even when its off, the Caps in power supplies can hold a charge for a while.
    Just be very careful and leave the PSU for a day or two unplugged for it to discharge. Also connect a fan to the PSU and jump start it to get the last of the juice out.
    Also you could build a new enclosure for the psu that is thinner. But again, if you do something wrong it can be dangerous.

We take no responsibility for anything that may go wrong, we advise against it.

17. Nicolee

well i decided to make the PSU external i will paint it black to match the rest Thank you all for your time .