1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theevilelephant, 8 Jul 2008.

1. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

So im going to add to the several million "can you help me upgrade my pc" threads, usually i'd do alot of research before posting here but i havent really kept up with recent CPU developments :( so here goes.

Righty then im wondering 2 things really,
    1) is it worth upgrading my CPU?
    2) if so what do i go for.

Current setup C2D 6400, asus p5b deluxe (wifi-ap), 4Gb mem (DDR2 6400), geforce 8800GTS(640mb), etc

its mainly a gaming pc, but i also work on it (programming, live image manipulation) and its performance has been noticeable lacklustre recently.

any thoughts/ideas/anythingss welcome

2. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I have basically the same setup, except a 680i mobo, a e6600 and only 2gigs of ram. I have been looking at the e8400 as a processor upgrde. Also looking to upgrade the GPU, I am thinking of a 4850/4870.

3. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Interesting point however I remember seeing a test recently where the E6600 went head to head with the E8400. If I remember there was little in it at stock although OCing did give you over 1Ghz more.

Now I just need to find the link....

4. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

that would be really interesting...please post the link if you find it!

5. theevilelephant

would my mobo even be able to use 45nm cpus?

edit:
    me too for some reason vista 64 hates my 8800 :(

6. SupReme

SupReme Message is over there ->

It seems to get slow you say...

Ever thought of reinstalling/cleaning up a bit? Cuz with that rig, things should not get slow. Not even close...

7. theevilelephant

yes i reinstalll windows every year or so, just did it a month ago all it has on it atm are drivers, a few games and open office.

8. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

how about overclocking ? I've got my E6400 running @ 3.2 GHz, with the same amount and speed RAM and it's blazing fast. (last reinstall was about 5 months ago).

9. theevilelephant

i will give it a go. what settings you running at?

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I have pretty much the same setup as well except for an ATI 3870. I think you need to figure out just why you need to upgrade. You will gain quite some FPS by going for an 4870 or 4850 but I can't see what good the CPU upgrade would really do?

11. theevilelephant

well general apps, like photoshop, word yada yada all seem a little sluggish. Maybe my expectations are too high :p i was thinking about gettting a 4850 mainly because i will then be able to install vista 64 (hopefully) finally.

12. iggy

iggy Minimodder

maybe you need a good defrag or something. get o&o defrag, its the shiznit.

personally i would hold off upgrading for another year, as theres not really anything at the moment thats going to be miles better than what youve currently.

oh, 6550 here, goes up to3.5gig with absolutely no effort, so yeah, try an overclock as well before you think about upgrading.

13. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

got mine running @ 400 x 9, with 1.4V, idling at ~30°C on a TRUE. FSB : DRAM ratio is 1:1, with 2V on the RAM, and NB at 1.3V. Hope this helps (Prime stable for 24h by the way, though i don't exactly remember load temps though i think they were ~60°C)