1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What hard drive caddie?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boswell, 12 Jul 2008.

1. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Hi,

I have run out of space to add new hard drive in my computer but I have plenty of 5 1/2inch space. Can you recommend me a hard disk caddie? I'm not really after one with a fan but if the fan is particularly quiet then I might consider it. I have a black aluminum case. One available from ebuyer would be a bonus!!

Thanks!

Ed

2. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Something like This so that you can fit HDDs internally (using the five and a quarter inch bay space) or something like This or This for use externally...
    ________
    Marijuana Bubbler

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

He wants one he can fit in a 5.25" drive bay in his case :idea:

For IDE or SATA hard drive(s)?
    And did you bother checking the Ebuyer site yourself... 'coz they've got just what you need - cheap as chips... and they weren't hard to find :confused:

SATA: Plexus Hard Drive Black Plastic SATA Removeable Tray Caddy with Lock - just £4.99 :eeek:
    IDE: Plexus Hard Drive Black Plastic IDE Removeable Tray Caddy with Lock - just £4.99 :clap:

4. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

You really have two choices, a basic adapter like this from maplin -http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=36414&doy=12m7 at £6.99 it may be cheaper than online + postage, that's assuming you have a maplin nearby to pop into.

Or you can do what I did and splash out on an adapter / cooler. I got the xilence heatpipe one from yoyotech http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=8903&osCsid=e8d7f1e53071d81d8c0062872bea8682 because it was for a cube case with a top window. It looks cooler to see the heatpipes and heatsink fins through the top!

If I were you I'd buy the cheap adapter, as cheap as you can find. Maybe get one from ebay -http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-to-5-25-Hard-Disk-Drive-Adaptor-Rail-Brackets_W0QQitemZ260259765438QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260259765438&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

5. Bozzy34

Bozzy34 What's a Dremel?

6. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Thanks a lot, yeh Hazardous I did look lol, I don't know why I asked 'specially on ebuyer' - they are particularly ugly that is the problem. I might go for the adapter solution or just go for the solution jbloggs said; choices choices!!

Ed

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ive just ordered the Icy Box IB-390, its quite attractive, esata and has had really good reviews. Plus the most important thing, its cheap.

Icy Box

8. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

9. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Blimey guys... :read:

You can post all the external enclosures you want, but as I said above...

:eyebrow:

10. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

Sorry, your right.

In that case how many 5.25's u have free? How about something like this http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=352333 i believe you can put these cages inside a portable external hd as well which would be rather handy