1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to disassemble a Dell Ultrasharp 1707 Monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by timmythemonkey, 11 Jul 2008.

1. timmythemonkey

timmythemonkey Monkeymodder

Hey guys got a small problem.

The power button on a Dell Ultrasharp 1707 Monitor has sunk into the bezel meaning it can no longer power on. Its a simple fix once I can get inside it, but thats where I'm stuck.

Its outside of warranty, so I have nothing to loose.

Any idea how to get the covers off of this awkward thing? I'm sure one of you guys on the Bit-Tech forums has the know-how!

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Have a look around the edge of the bezel, where the front and back halves meet there's usually some plastic clips (usually not visible, but marked somehow). You'll need a screwdriver to pry them apart, and they can be a real ******* too.

I had to disassemble a Philips TFT last week and the clips were made so that they couldn't really be undone without nearly breaking the damn thing to bits... :grr:

3. timmythemonkey

Thanks for that! you were right, although they weren't marked as far as i could see, though a little brute force showed them up nicely.

Got the bezel most of the way off, but now its time to head home for the weekend, so I'll continue my monitor breaking... I mean repair...:rolleyes: next week.

Thanks again for the prompt reply! :thumb:

4. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

If you can slide something thin in the gap like a credit card it'll slide round until it hits a clip. Makes it easy to find the clips.

5. timmythemonkey

I ended up using 2 screwdrivers and a spare PCI slot plate... whatever those useless bits are called, as it was a nice L shape.

The monitor is now back together again and working fine after having repaired the power button, the plastic had snapped in 2 places, one where it depresses the actual switch itself, and another that holds the power button to the rest of the button assembly. A bit of superglue and a tiny piece of pencil eraser later and it was fixed. Definately worth a little effort to save what is still a good monitor.

Thanks for all your help guys!

6. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

Nice to hear you were successful. Don't suppose you got any photos for others to reference - clip positions, button weak points etc?

7. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

A guitar plec is perfect for sliding around monitors & similar bits of kit to release the clips.

9. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

Probably would have been easier than the blood donor card I knackered to open mine!