1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SSDs do increase battery life

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so less than an hour of extra laptop battery time for how much more premium you have to pay?

the question now is: is it worth it? (don't forget the tiny space)

3. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

"Is it worth it?"

Well depends on your circumstances. If your only machine is the laptop and it sits plugged in on a desk most of the time ....and you keep all your music and movies on it. Then the storage is probably more important. If however it's a smaller, more portable laptop; and it's a second machine. Then the storage won't matter as much and you can spend the cash if you want to have faster booting and a more snappy OS etc.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

how about the Ultra-portable class, EEE 901 vs a similar priced HDD with similar spec

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

SSDs are pretty cheap (and similar in size to other laptopdrives) now...

6. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

I'll be intrested when I can get a 120GB SSD at a good price

7. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Once they reach 400-500GB then I'll sit up and pay attention, until then...meh!

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

theres more to it than battery life, SSDs are nearly indestructible compared to a traditional hard drive which is especially important in a mobile device like a laptop
    they'll also outperform a traditional laptop disk

most laptops also come with relatively small disks anyway, so the capacity difference isnt as big a deal as it is on the desktop
    although i do think people are kinda missing the point of SSDs when they whine about not being able to get 500gig ones

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

dont forget that ssd's are far faster than the crappy low rpm drives you usually find in laptops, dont look at the numbers several raptors on a areca put out, the ssd's also produce almost no heat, have no moving parts and weight less on top of the lower power consumption... really pretty much an allway round win except for capacity and price, but how much storage do you need on the go? just have some extra storage at home and only carry the data you actually need and the size isnt an issue leaving the price as the only downside.

seriously, what hdd manufacturer paid TH for the original article? make the step to the future and try ssd..

10. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

well its not worth it to most people just like Sli and crossfire, but it can add to your epenis and if your a business man or woman who flies alot this could really help you, an hour is usually long enough to get to an outlet.

11. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The 64GB OCZ is over $1,000. The 32GB is $450. These things are damn pricey.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yes, because regular HDDs are slow as hell, even high speed ones.

13. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

ROFL where are you shoping? The 64GB costs £184

14. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow What's a Dremel?

Quite frankly i dont give a dam. In two months times my new laptop will support dual HDD's. Windows will be on a 64 CB SDD and all my progs n games will be on a 7200 HDD. Now if that dont cut it im off to a gimps party dungon where mistress whips me all day long ha ha

15. FvD

FvD What's a Dremel?

Actually OCZ SSDs come in two versions: "OCZ SATA II 2.5" SSD" (expensive ones, bout 750EUR per 64GB) and "OCZ Core Series SATA II 2.5" SSD" (cheapos for bout 190EUR per 64GB)

On a sidenote: are SSDs actually measured in GiB or rip-off GB?
    Manufactureres should realy l2- binaryprefix or should be forced to :D

Last edited: 16 Jul 2008
  16. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

What about the limited amount of writes/rewrites? Thats whats putting me off( especially seeing as my sd card just died with all my pics on it )

Tags: Add Tags