1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Guitar Hero renders mice redundant?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jul 2008.

1. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

I don't think I would ever allow a pc to interface directly with my brain, aside from matrix-esque possibilities what happens when you interface with windows and your brain crashes because it doesn't have drivers for this piece of hardware?

2. nakchak

nakchak What's a Dremel?

dunno if anyone else has had the pleasure of using a gyromouse b4?

but we got some in the office the other day and i have to say i like them a lot

imagine a wii controller mixed with a mouse and ur bang on the money, when mouse is on desk it works like a normal optical, pick it up and it becomes wii controller like

now just waiting fo rboss to go on holiday so that we can get a TF2 session on the go ;-).....

though tbh a mouse is good enough for most things, otherwise trackballs, pucks and tablets would reign supreme, maybe when voice recognition just works and requires < 3mins config then gesteral input would seem like a good idea, but you would still need to get people out from behind there desks...

3. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

um... thats not how i expect it to work. more like it reads your brain signals externally like with a skullcap, except sans the cap. theres no actual signals being sent to the brain. yet.

4. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

My Wacom tablet pretty much replaced my mouse. I only use the mouse in FPS games. RTS games I prefer the tablet but usually most full-screen 3D apps go nuts when I try to use the pen.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Same here, it's more natural to use for everyday tasks, where the mouse is only used for gaming. Touch screen or gyro technology is not the way forward for mainstream PC interface because of a lack of accuracy. You wouldn't want to FPS or use Photoshop with those kind of inputs. Besides, touch screen = fingerprints.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

3-5 years sounds about right. I'm not saying we won't be using mice after that time (such a claim would be absurd) but I'd argue that it won't be marketed or included as the primary input method in most devices by then. Don't forget people, this is the tech market and things move _very_ smart. If we consider how popular touch interfaces have become in just a year on the phone market, and then products such as the HP Touchsmart bringing the same technology to the desktop market, I'm sure it won't be long before better input technology has been applied to every computing paradigm. As I said, I'm not expecting the mouse to be killed off in 3-5 years as I still expect it to be used by 80-90% of people; but I think we're finally finding new and better ways to interact with devices easily.

7. ShredMachine

ShredMachine What's a Dremel?

Lets see here. I can move my fingertips less than 2 inches and do everything I want, or I can move my entire arm and probably upper body also, to accomplish the EXACT SAME THING.

Yeah. Real efficient progress there.

8. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Playing an FPS with a guitar hero controller would certainly be intresting to say the least

9. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I would love to see "gestural computer mechanisms like touch screens and facial recognition devices" that are intuitive, cheap, and powerful enough to:

- edit a 10,000 entry spreadsheet
    - fix a computer that won't boot a GUI
    - easily navigate a novel-length text document
    - communicate clearly with people across the world
    - beat Portal
    - and do it all without changing devices.

The mouse and keyboard are a tremendously powerful interface for today's computer-user paradigm.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

it seems like those who wrote that article believe that computers are used only for gaming and entertainment.

Sure, there are some neat HID devices out there, but most have specific uses. Touchscreens for handheld devices, gyro controllers for gaming and 3d modelling and so on...

I would never replace my primary monitor with a touchscreen. My arm would die after half a day. Also, I don't want fingerprints on a monitor used to edit pictures.

I think Logitech have something like this as well. :) Looks interesting.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

We have a whole department who use Gyration mice. While they can be used both on a surface and in the air, they are frustratingly inaccurate. Like using the Wiimote and nunchuck to play CSS. They're mostly used for making presentations in the classroom.

The trouble with many alternative interface methods are that they're uncomfortable. Prolonged arm waggling, finger-sliding and eyeballing your computer puts unnecessary strain on your body.

12. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

Anyone else get turned on by that concept? :lol:

I kid, I kid.

This is the problem we have now where more advanced physical interfaces start having diminishing returns.

13. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

its just an advertisement for that gay ass game.

14. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

the only change i see happening that quick is maybe better mice, but not replacing them but improving them, same with keyboards.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2008
Tags: Add Tags