1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Planning to build a PC that can run Crysis on Full Graphics, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Joosh, 9 Jul 2008.

1. ricickle

ricickle Reamer

@ShredMachine
    He did not ask for advice on what to spend his money on he just wants to know what components would be needed to build such a machine

2. ShredMachine

ShredMachine What's a Dremel?

Actually he said he is planning to build such a machine. Such a machine does not exist on this planet yet without considerably wasteful investement in not only high end show product hardware that will lose its value within a year and be underperforming in 2, but also considerable risk involved with hardcore overclocking and cooling equipment.

In the interest of helping someone not waste their money on something that will only be worth a few months bragging rights, I advised him to consider either waiting a little longer so prices come down a bit, or to build a midrange machine that he can upgrade later for more performance at less cost.

So in other words: I offered my opinion on the idea in a public forum where such things are encouraged, and should he take my advice, I would probably save him quite a bit of money, time, effort, and headaches.

But hey, if you REALLY really want him to waste his money for the sake of giving you a hardware based chubby, so be it.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Is it just me, or is Crysis disproportionately hardware hungry compared with other modern games (even taking into account the niceness of the graphics)? Esp. in the recent 4870 tests.

4. ShredMachine

ShredMachine What's a Dremel?

Yes. Crysis is a game that was basically designed to need more power than god would have on tap. Designed to take advantage of every possible modern feature, current or even near future hardware be damned. Nothing else available is even close to being as power hungry as crysis is.

5. Joosh

Joosh What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all of your advice friends, I have decided to wait a while longer, my Dell XPS 1530 will suffice for now, I was more so just seeing how the market is and what would be involved in building such a system, taking a second look at the cost and the bills that I have just had come in, this project will have to be put on the backburner.

However, when Starcraft II and Diablo III are released (whichever comes first), I think I will have to lash out and by myself a new performance machine, even if it is overkill. :p

Thanks again,

Josh

6. Regidet

Regidet Awesomenesstrocity

try intel skulltrail.
    gtx 280s

start there

7. GreenDolphin

GreenDolphin What's a Dremel?

I have a machine that is able to run Crysis maxed out on Very High settings at 50-60+ FPS.

Here are its components that I put together and built into my tower case:

Nforce 680i Motherboard
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (Keep in mind Crysis takes advantage of 64-Bit Vista)
    GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/DVI
    OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz SLI-Ready Edition Low Latency Dual Channel DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHZ e6850
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium CPU Cooler
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM
    Akasa AK-P085FG-BK 850W PowerMax PSU
    Samsung SH-S202J/BEBE 20x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer ReWriter - OEM

And its all under 1,800AUS Dollars. (1,729AUS, it depends where you buy these Components!)
    Though this is playing on a 17" LCD Monitor, so just lower the res to 1280x786 and you should be fine!

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What a strange res!

Do you mean 1280x1024 or 1024x768?

I'd assume the latter.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yeah, any odd graphics card should be able to do that! 4850 will do that easliy, much better than 8800GT.

max Crysis is about playing it at 24inch or larger, now THAT is a challange

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm going to start looking into a machine that I can stick under my TV that can handle Crysis. It might even just mean getting a decent sized (with good cooling) HTPC case, but I'm pretty sure it wont fit all the stuff I've got in my machine at the moment.

11. GreenDolphin

GreenDolphin What's a Dremel?

Woops, sorry I meant x1024 : P

Though to achieve the system to play Crysis on Veryhigh settings at that res with my current hardware, you will need to tweak system a just little.

12. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

As I didn't read all the posts here this may or may not have been covered, but unless your a millionaire not going to happen. Even the boss of your company can't afford a PC that can run crysis on full grafix. However you can get respectable grafix and a decent frame rate with a few thousand in hardware. You'll get good, but not Full.

13. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

my system is:

Asus Striker Extreme
    4gb Corsair Dominator 8500 (4 x 1gb) 1066DDR2 (with Triple fan)
    Q6700 2.6GHz @ 3GHz (set by scan, this is a 3xs system) can get up to 3.4 stable on air, 4 on water by a pro though has never been tried on this cpu
    Zalman Intel LGA775 Aero Flower Cooler
    2 x 768mb 8800 GTX XXX Editions (same as ultras really)
    Ageia Physx Card 128mb
    850W Coolermaster Modular PSU (GUARANTEED at >85%)
    500GB 7200rpm HDD (Seagate i *Think*, or Hitachi maybe)
    G15 (Original blue) Keyboard w/LCD
    Silverstone TJ09 Case (Black) (i think its the TJ09, its the MONSTER sized one)
    ACER 24" TFT (1920x1200, Superb Quality image, still got the box etc, NO DEAD PIXELS)
    24" Geargrip for the monitor w/ shoulder strap
    Geargrip Harness for the case w/ shoulder strap
    Zalman Fan/PSU monitor (with psu monitor lcd thing) in 5 1/4 bay
    4 120mm blue fans, rigged up to the zalman
    1 x 16X DVD Writer (LiteOn)
    1 x 16X DVD Writer with Lightscribe (cant remember brand)
    Various Clusters of UV LEDs Throughout case
    Hauppage TV Tuner
    Floppy/Multi Card Reader Combi Drive
    Windows Media Center Remote
    Almost All Cabling (Inc PSU) is braided, either in black or UV.

It plays crysis on 1680x1050 with everything on high at decent playable framerates, so better that if you want anything higher

14. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

lol, high not full thought even god can't build a pc that can run crysis on max settings.

15. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

instead of the velociraptor, why not go for solid state? OCZ have a 64Gb model out for £115ish, cheaper than the WD and quiet :D

16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I play Crysis on my 40" tv, at 1920*1080 with the rig in my sig, and i can get 15fps with full settings on everything, just no AA, soon as AA is on, that drops from 15fps to 9 (I am talking about the GPU 64bit benchmark Crysis has) When i play the game and not the benchmark, it's pretty smooth too, mind you, i've not gotten anywere that's got loads of explosions yet.

Sam

17. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Make sure you have plenty of cash, i spent £3200 at the beginning of the year on a system, and since then grahics prices have fell through the floor and the system isnt worth half of what i paid, but thats the way it goes

Tags: