1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no XP Pro installation cd...want to move os

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bwuggley5, 21 Jul 2008.

1. bwuggley5

bwuggley5 What's a Dremel?

No XP Professional cd.
    My nephew gave me 2 laptops, one HP with a 2GHz cpu which I have recovered rather nicely and now I can't wait until I have a screen for it...and the other laptop is an NEC LaVieC L700/1C which has XP Professional and boots ok, and does have a screen.
    He gave me the product keys for both laptops but no XP professional installation CD.
    Can I shift the operating system to a newer computer or even shift the harddrive to another computer and use XP Professional? I have a laptop harddrive to IDE adapter to use the laptop harddrive on a desktop computer.

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

They are propably OEM licenses, and that doesn not allow shifting the OS to another computer. It won't activate. (But you can always call MS and tell your mobo broke so they will re-activate the license.)

And you can't just plug a disk with an already installed OS into another computer because the major hardware change will break the OS completely.

3. bwuggley5

yes...

Yes, this does not seem possible without the installation cd :waah:

4. ~tjb~

~tjb~ Not Your Average 17 year old

You can use any OEM (if it's oem) XP pro disk.

5. bwuggley5

no cd...

I do have XP Home Edition and XP pro 64Bit Edition cds...it seems a bit funny how I always seemed to want a Windows XP Professional cd but have only ever needed it now...:eyebrow:

6. ~tjb~

~tjb~ Not Your Average 17 year old

I think it's legal to download the disk off the internet as long as you have the key. (There was a discussion about this on another thread I read earlier http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=154695. Even though it was on Vista I think it's the same for XP) [Correct me if this is wrong.]