1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable SD card class speed make a difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sotu1, 21 Jul 2008.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

http://www.sdcard.org/about/speed_class/

buying a new SD card for me homebrew DS, planning to run quake 2 on my DS ya see, as well as plug in a load of my music. Just a quick qusetion really to ask if you guys think faster class speed SD cards actually make a difference or not? And, would it make a difference on an NDS running quake 2?

Cheers guys,

sotu x

2. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

They definitely do on my camera. It can record video constantly, but unless I have a high-speed SD card inserted, only bursts of around 12 seconds are possible until the internal camera cache fills up. Not sure how it would affect Quake though...

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't think it'll be too big a factor tbh mate - as long as you can manage 5MB/s or so, it'll be fine imo. :)

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I like to use Class 6 cards for my digital cameras... but for what you're going to be using it for (and assuming there's a fairly substantial price difference between them), I agree with Krikkit ;)

5. jawad

jawad Mr Meter

SD card speed does make big difference

when talking about SD card speed, look at both write speed and read speed. An example of High Speed requirement would be a high definition SD card based camcorder e.g Canon HF10. This camcorder records 17mb every second so Class 4 SD card is the minimum requirement, that would allow the camcorder to write 17mb of date every second. Otherwise the camera can't record in high definition and default to lower resolution video capture. Similarly if you are running an application off your SD card then you need to have good read speed on the SD card otherwise you can't run the application from it. Hope that helps :thumb:

Tags: